Intel SC2600CP from Natex and Esxi 6 NIC Error

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmstalker

May 11, 2016
Hi All,

Been lurking for a while in this fantastic community and now making a count in hope of some help from it.

I picked up my first home server hardware in order to get some practice in for work and have a few VMs for different things kicking around home. I picked up the bundle from Natex with 2x E5-2670s and an Intel SC2600CP board. When attempting to install ESXI 6.0 from a DVD, it gets so far through the installation and throws up error: "nfs4lclient failed to load". This seems to be related to an incompatible NIC but I'm using the on-board network port.

Being such a popular board/cpu combo around here, I was hoping that others have faced the same issue and with more knowledge, fixed it easily. I've looked at updating bios/firmware but don't imagine that will help with ESXI compatibility and my googling has came up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The latest bios/ firmware may well sort incompatibility issues with ESXi, so I would definitely be looking at that before doing anything else. Have you tried downloading a fresh copy of ESXi and trying it with new media? If that doesn't work, try using an eval version of VMware Workstation and use it to install a copy of ESXi, straight from a clean iso, on to a USB stick. See if that will boot on your board :)

Reactions: bmstalker

bmstalker

May 11, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for the response, I was literally just about to update the post. After updating bios, 2 hours of googling and even a windows 7 installation, I found out that the network ports were disabled in BIOS. Case closed, hopefully this thread helps someone else out.

Thanks

Reactions: pricklypunter