Intel NUC-based 64TB home server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I thought of that, but wanted to minimize the number of PCs running, and electric bill too. The server part is very rarely used anyway. What is used most often is the streaming, then Kodi, then Magic Jack, then Skype camera.
you can look on my thread for building closed server rack as "Regular" TV/top desk with sound dampen.
any 19" can be put inside.

mostly I am running 24/7:D
1) 3U SM server case: centos running i3 with 16G RAM unbuff ecc 24/7 that serve file-server
2) 2U SM server case: proxmox running E3 with 32G RAM unbuf ecc: for all VMs. on VM is running Zoneminder with 5 IP cameras :D * recording is takin much cpu cycles*
3) 1U Short depth SM case: Proxmox running j1800 bay trail with 8g RAM unbuff non-ecc: for my IPCOP linux router, light linux VMs
on average total running is 180W-200W total + extra Watts when UPS is charging the batteries.
UPS power consumption alone is $15W.

* I am bulidng power meter with pi now to monitor precisely total power consumption with openenergymonitor arduino library.* this is very easy to do.
I start using thingspeak one month ago to log the data :D

kodi is running on rasp Pi :D. Since my Samsung Tv supports CEC, I can control xmbc ergh... kodi with TV remote :D.
* some on my friend mention, that xbmc is already included in Samsung TV? I just smile and point to rasp Pi on the back of TV.

Not 24/7 as needed:
1) 3U SMserver case: centos running ehem... I3 5XX with 16G RAM unbuff ecc: for backup server.
2) old old cube server with ehem 5300 Intel Xeon.. running centos 6.X

Reactions: Chuckleb

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I see, but once you get some taste for server side there is no way back.:)
exactly, it happens to me.. hahah

server rack/case is easy since not need modding. I just take and slap back to the rack quickly with wasting time to mod the case...

but.. the big issue are ugliness of server rack and the noise of server case....

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I've also mounted a 250mm case fan to the back of my AV cabinet attached to a thermostat which kicks in at high temps to move heat. Helped with my HTPC builds and really quiet. Dremel for the hole.

Reactions: canta

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I've also mounted a 250mm case fan to the back of my AV cabinet attached to a thermostat which kicks in at high temps to move heat. Helped with my HTPC builds and really quiet. Dremel for the hole.
you can do easily with Hole Saws.

I bought cheap from harbor freight ( cheap and not good quality) since only use occasionally,

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I think we thought of that... But 2am and beers forced us to "show who is the boss" of this project. Yes, hole saw is genius!

We also gave up on the idea of precision sawzall pretty quickly...

Last edited:
Reactions: markarr