Intel NUC 11 Pro Review Tiger Canyon NUC11TNKi5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
We check out the latest Intel NUC 11 Pro. This small NUC has a 10nm Tiger Lake Core i5-1135G7 CPU, PCIe Gen4, USB 4, TB4 and Iris Xe graphics

The post Intel NUC 11 Pro Review Tiger Canyon NUC11TNKi5 appeared first on ServeTheHome.

Continue reading...
I have appreciated your review of the NUC 11 Pro.

Unfortunately, you have confirmed a fact that has also appeared in other reviews of these NUCs, that this generation of NUCs is relatively noisy when compared with older NUCs.

The first generations of NUCs were somewhat noisy, but when they have reached the NUC 8 generation there was a dramatic improvement in the quality of the coolers.

I have two NUC 8 computers that are almost always inaudible. I have in a room, where I am also sleeping, a NUC 8 server that works 24/7 hosting a firewall, a router, DNS servers, DNS cache & proxy, e-mail server, Web server, Web cache & proxy, NTP server and a few other network services, without making any audible noise.

Sadly, it seems that Intel decided to save some money on the coolers for the following NUC generations, so that, according to the reviews that I have seen, the current NUC 11 generation appears to be about as noisy as the original NUCs.

While the review covered most points about the NUC 11 Pro, it can be slightly misleading for those readers that are not familiar with the Intel NUC.

Most of your criticisms should have mentioned that they are solved by using other variants of NUC 11 Pro or external adapters.

While there are only 2 HDMI connectors, you can connect 4 monitors, 2 of them using DisplayPort over Thunderbolt.
Most newer monitors have USB Type-C inputs that can be connected directly to the NUC.
For older DisplayPort monitors or for cables longer than 1 meter, you can use cheap adapters from USB Type C to standard DisplayPort connectors.

NUC 11 Pro can be bought either in the size shown in the review or with taller cases, where you can mount 2.5" SSDs.
Also in the taller cases, you can buy them including an additional internal board, which adds the second 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet port that you desired, together with 2 extra USB ports.

For higher speed, you can go up to the 4.8 GHz Tiger Lake U, which is certain to have a much higher speed in the NUC 11 Pro than in any laptop with the same CPU (at least this was always true for the previous generations of NUCs).

The maximized SKU is NUC11TNHv70L, with i7-1185G7 and dual 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet, which was briefly available in Europe at its recommended price of EUR 650, but which now, due to the well-known shortages, has become more expensive, where available.

The slower (but faster than the reviewed unit) NUC11TNHv50L, with i5-1145G7 and dual 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet, is available now in Europe at EUR 500.

Last edited: