Intel Exiting the PC Business as it Stops Investment in the Intel NUC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Is there any indication who will take care of support already released NUCs? Asrock?

shadowplay0

Apr 13, 2023
This sort of cost-cutting strikes me as less about saving Intel's business, rather saving the stock price. Intel is never going to be a lean, mean ANYTHING but making a lot of noise trying will like help the stock in the short and perhaps medium term.

Ironically, the NUC line was a good example of Intel not beholden to the same small margins and short-term planning of their chip customers. They were able to show us a slightly different way of using their main product which should open lots of opportunity down the road for all parties. (Of course, it seems like no name companies on Aliexpress are reaping most of the rewards. Doing to the Taiwanese vendors what they'd previously done to American vendors, offering better value).

If they'd simply wanted to stop competing with their customers, they could have tried to move into a ODM/OEM sort of arrangement with the Dells and Asus of the world

Reactions: Aquatechie

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I guess it makes sense, there seems to be a lot of competition for small computers... but it is still sad news...

Also, I could be wrong here (please prove me wrong), but I don't remember the TMM's to be offered in (low end) versions equivalent to NUC essential models like the NUC11ATKPE (n6005 SoC). So it seems to me, that there's a gap, that is not covered by the TMM vendors.

Of course, you could buy the Chinese made/designed devices like the ones on aliexpress etc., but that is not for everyone, and I certainly will not be doing that.

The only alternative I can think of if you want something like that, is to buy from a vendor like Jetway.

Reactions: Patrick

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Current Intel's CEO is a Tech guy (after a long chain of bean counting MBAs) who was both Intel's CTO for 20 years and spent time in VMWare.
I trust him to do the right call for Intel, even if it is sometimes hard to see from the outside. I know a little about how complex Intel is as I used to work for them some years ago. I think making Intel simpler and closer to its core specialty - i.e., making the best compute chips.
There is a lot of fat, and while these little platforms were/are popular, they face very stiff competition and much smaller margins than Intel is used to. Thanks to Lisa, AMD's pressure, especially on high-margin server chips, doesn't help Intel either.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Is there any indication who will take care of support already released NUCs? Asrock?
Given the statement, I think Intel is. ASRock Industrial makes its own 4x4 motherboards.

AdrianBc

Mar 29, 2021
This was a tough one to write this morning :-(
When the SimplyNUC Moonstone R9 CBM3r9MS becomes available, supposedly at the end of this month, a review of this computer would be very interesting for comparing it with the previously reviewed products: Intel NUC13 Pro, which uses exactly the same case and peripheral interfaces, and Minisforum UM790 and Beelink GTR7 Pro, which use the same CPU, Ryzen 9 7940HS.

I expect that the SimplyNUC Moonstone R9 is slightly slower than UM790 and GTR7, because it is likely that its CPU is configured for a TDP of 35 W, exactly like the i7-1360P Raptor Lake used in the same case in the Intel NUC13 Pro.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know precisely how much slower it is, especially in the Linux kernel compilation benchmark, and how efficient and how noisy the cooling system is.

When you have to carry a computer with you, the smaller 0.7 L SimplyNUC (or previously Intel NUC) is more convenient than the more powerful, but bigger, 0.9 to 1 L Beelink, Minisforum or ASUS computers.

SimplyNUC has declared that now, after losing their main provider, they will continue with original computer designs, like demonstrated e.g. with this Moonstone motherboard for the NUC case or with their alternative cases for previous Intel NUC motherboards.

Moreover, SimplyNUC has declared that they are developing a Meteor Lake NUC, to be launched before the end of the year. Since Intel must have canceled whatever Meteor Lake NUC they had in development, the SimplyNUC model may be interesting in the up to 0.7 L niche.

Reactions: Patrick