Intel discontinues all consumer Optane only SSD products

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
IMHO the only perfect fit for Optane in the "consumer" is as a ZFS ZIL drive, but that stretches the definition of typical consumer usage.
Otherwise, the lower latency didn't make much sense as a pricier NVMe (NAND) SSD alternative.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've ran the optane in my desktop since they came out, was it like going from SSD to NVME no, but it was a noticeable decrease in latency.

I haven't run PCIE4 NVME with high cache, so maybe it's not a big deal anymore ?

Reactions: itronin

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Optane is much better than needed and way too expensive for the consumer market. For the enterprise market the above are not good enough (lack of guaranteed plp).

As long as I can buy a datacenter Optane 4801 up from 100GB as an Slog or super performance critical use cases, everything is ok.

Reactions: itronin

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The challenge Intel has is that the Optane drives are very high $/GB now that QLC is out. Optane pricing is not falling as fast.

I somewhat understand why. A consumer looking at a 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD or a 300-480GB Optane drive at a similar price is likely to go with the larger capacity drive.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
IMHO the only perfect fit for Optane in the "consumer" is as a ZFS ZIL drive, but that stretches the definition of typical consumer usage.
Otherwise, the lower latency didn't make much sense as a pricier NVMe (NAND) SSD alternative.
I've got my hands on a slightly used 900p a year ago. I've used it in different roles but the latency advantage wasn't that pronounced and my ZFS needs don't include sync writes. I though quite a bit about selling it for a nice profit but decided to try out lvmcache with two 5TB Toshiba drives in my main workstation. I am very pleased with the performance and now use it mainly as a storage backend for my libvirt and kubernetes homelab environment.

I am a bit sad to see them got bt they where just too expensive and had too low capacity.

Last edited: