Intel DC S3700 800GB $ 399

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Take a look at Patrick's forsale thread, buy his Fusion IO cards. Best bang for the buck for your homelab.

Sergio

Dec 17, 2015
What's the benefit of the Fusion IO vs Enterprise SSD/NVMe ?

I want to use them for a Xeon-D build that I'm planning , the only drawback I see with the Fusion-IO is that it would take the only PCIe on the board.

@zhoulander: for all the Fusion-IO is not a bad price... The problem is shipping to Europe and the import taxes though.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Bought one last month for $265. They can be had for less if you're patient.

Sergio

Dec 17, 2015
In fact I'm very patient, I'll keep looking, that's almost half price what I posted.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What's the benefit of the Fusion IO vs Enterprise SSD/NVMe ?

I want to use them for a Xeon-D build that I'm planning , the only drawback I see with the Fusion-IO is that it would take the only PCIe on the board.

@zhoulander: for all the Fusion-IO is not a bad price... The problem is shipping to Europe and the import taxes though.
Fusion-IO is > SATA SSD in all regards except power usage. The SLC are great.
Fusion-IO vs. NVME -- Fusion-IO vs Intel 750... likely Fusion-IO wins on mixed work-load, endurance, longevity the 750 will be better for 'reads' and sequential but that's likely the limits. Fusion-IO vs intel Enterprise NVME... no Enterprise NVME no questions about that :) But Fusion-IO price, even SLC often is a fraction of 'deal' NVME, though often smaller in size. Depending on usage, IMHO there are use-cases for Enterprise SSD, Enterprise NVME, and Fusion-IO still today.

Reactions: Sergio

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Real life example usage for Fusion IO card
1 Fusion IO 640gb card, hosting my Rancher Docker cluster lab.
Windows 2012R2 function as Hyper-v host, Rancher HA Cluster consists of 4 Ubuntu VMs . Docker on top of 4 x Ubuntu VMs.
Boot my entire Rancher Docker HA cluster in 2-3 seconds. So fast that it doesn't feel like running on a single SSD.

Fusion IO card have write endurance in 5-10 PB range, all that performance for less than $150.

If I don't have multi TB Fusion IO in my spare bin, I would buy Patrick's Fusion IO card.

Reactions: Sergio and T_Minus

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
What's the difference between the $120 fusion-io 353gb cards on eBay and what Patrick has? Not threadcrapping, just wondering.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
What's the difference between the $120 fusion-io 353gb cards on eBay and what Patrick has? Not threadcrapping, just wondering.
The 353's and the 320's really are the same card. The 320's have a longer lifespan since they have more reservation. In fact, you can reformat the 320's to 353's.

-D

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The 353's and the 320's really are the same card. The 320's have a longer lifespan since they have more reservation. In fact, you can reformat the 320's to 353's.

-D
And vice-versa :) And the 353 is 'raw' so should be sized down to ~320 too :)

SLC > Performance than MLC in SSD and Fusion-IO, except Fusion-IO it's more noticeable.. and of course > endurance.

Sergio

Dec 17, 2015
@T_Minus really nice explanation, I guess everything depends on the use case, I like what I hear about the fusion but If I build the lab with Xeon-D the PCIe is very limiting.

@Marsh That's really awesome, so you only have in the Fusion-IO the 4 VMs, the Hyper-V boots from a different disk right? This is exactly what I want to build. Do you keep that data replicated in some way?