Intel Core X Series Launched: 18 Cores and Maddening Differentiation

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Patrick Kennedy, May 30, 2017.

1. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

The TIM is blown out of proportion. If we can buy TIM for a few bucks a tube, Intel has economies of scale which means either solder or TIM cannot cost more than "a few pennies" if that. They're driven by cost so I can't see why they'd use TIM unless there's a big cost savings somewhere like if their TIM makes chips more reliable.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and Intel is buying AS5 on the open market and paying elves to squeeze it on.

2. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

@ATS and @Nanotech - I wonder if either of you actually think you are going to convince each other - or anyone else - of anything other than your religious zealotry by this dialog? Neither of you are right or wrong, the facts don't support or refute either of you - you each draw different conclusions the same facts.

MiniKnight likes this.
  3. ATS

ATS Member

There are only 2 large scale suppliers of TIM pastes, Dow Corning and Shin Etsu. Arctic Cooling does not make TIMs. They are not a large scale industrial manufacturer. Their cooling solutions with almost 100% certainty start out in vats at either Dow Corning or Shin Etsu, as do pretty much all TIMs on the retail market. All Arctic does is have a contract manufacturer mix in some alumina oxide into a paste from likely either DC or SE and package it into tubes. It should also be pointed out that DC and SE have a wide array of different thermal pastes with various different properties.

Bond line thickness (BLT) is always an issue in any thermal application and is highly critical in indium solder TIM applications. For some background on some of the various issues with Indium solder in TIM applications, this is a good primer: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/40fe/11ccc30fcdac3d2c38cb65b42f112f040558.pdf

Having worked at Intel in the past, the statement that Intel doesn't care about reliability is complete BS. It is a critical gate at both tapeout and PRQ. The cost differential for Intel for something like TIM vs solder is literally in the noise. Intel will likely sell more X299 CPUs than the AMD will sell 8c+ Ryzen products.

4. ATS

ATS Member

There are only 2 large scale suppliers of TIM pastes, Dow Corning and Shin Etsu. Arctic Cooling does not make TIMs. They are not a large scale industrial manufacturer. Their cooling solutions with almost 100% certainty start out in vats at either Dow Corning or Shin Etsu, as do pretty much all TIMs on the retail market. All Arctic does is have a contract manufacturer mix in some alumina oxide into a paste from likely either DC or SE and package it into tubes. It should also be pointed out that DC and SE have a wide array of different thermal pastes with various different properties.

Bond line thickness (BLT) is always an issue in any thermal application and is highly critical in indium solder TIM applications. For some background on some of the various issues with Indium solder in TIM applications, this is a good primer: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/40fe/11ccc30fcdac3d2c38cb65b42f112f040558.pdf

Having worked at Intel in the past, the statement that Intel doesn't care about reliability is complete BS. It is a critical gate at both tapeout and PRQ. The cost differential for Intel for something like TIM vs solder is literally in the noise. Intel will likely sell more X299 CPUs than the AMD will sell 8c+ Ryzen products.

5. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

Back to the topic on-hand I wonder if Intel will launch any Xeons at all for LGA2066 or whether these 14 core+ versions are really LGA2066 Xeons rebranded and binned for i9 processors. I also ask that because as far as I understood it the Xeon metal lineup was intended to be for LGA3647 Skylake-EP.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  6. Mam89

Mam89 Member

I'm curious if the 18 core varieties were always slated for release, just later than mid next year as an incremental to the x299 platform. I think Intel kind of rushed them out the door as it were because Threadrippers announcement probably came early. So, heres looking foward to a very limited initial release until they can bin down some of the new xeon series to fill the need. Dr. Su is taking a good thing and running, and Intel are working hard to keep pace lol

All good things for us, as it means we don't have to wait the extra year before these hit the used market.

7. Aluminum

Aluminum Active Member

Any word on ECC and Registered support? Ark for the 6-10 core models says nay on both. Kind of a big deal for the people that would go with the bigger cores, they tend to actually want to populate the memory and have it stable.

8. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I believe we will see reviews of the new chips in a few weeks.

9. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Highly doubt it ... or rather it's called an e5 ;)

10. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

Apparently NDA lifts on the day of Intels "Gaming Show" in 9+ days and availability should be in a few weeks after.