Intel Core i9-11900K Review Two Perspectives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Posting this from today AnandTech review, since I consider it a critical detail:

Platform Stability: Not Complete
It is worth noting that in our testing we had some issues with platform stability with our Core i9 processor. Personally, across two boards and several BIOS revisions, I would experience BSODs in high memory use cases. Gavin, our motherboard editor, was seeing lockups during game tests with his Core i9 on one motherboard, but it worked perfectly with a second. We’ve heard about issues of other press seeing lockups, with one person going through three motherboards to find stability. Conversations with an OEM showcased they had a number of instability issues running at default settings with their Core i9 processors.

The exact nature of these issues is unknown. One of my systems refused to post with 4x32 GB of memory, only with 2x32 GB of memory. Some of our peers that we’ve spoken to have had zero problems with any of their systems. For us, our Core i7 and Core i5 were absolutely fine. I have a second Core i9 processor here which is going through stability tests as this review goes live, and it seems to be working so far, which might point that it is a silicon/BIOS issue, not a memory issue.

Edit: As I was writing this, the second Core i9 crashed and restarted to desktop.

We spoke to Intel about the problem, and they acknowledged our information, stating:

We are aware of these reports and actively trying to reproduce these issues for further debugging.

Some motherboard vendors are only today putting out updated BIOSes for Intel’s new turbo technology, indicating that (as with most launches) there’s a variety of capability out there. Seeing some of the comments from other press in their reviews today, we’re sure this isn’t an isolated incident; however we do expect this issue to be solved.
If there was a thing that I usually trusted Intel to do better than AMD, was Day One platform maturity. Intel tends to have less quirks that AMD, more so if you compare them to AMD current USB woes. But this one is on another level.
This reminds me of the Pentium 3 Coppermine 1.13 GHz. I'm actually expecting than Intel will have to dial down back the Turbo on the highest parts or put a hard cap on power consumption. I'm not trusting a silicon piece that on certain scenarios like AVX-512 shoots up to 300W power consumption while thermal throttling at 104°C. It is living at the edge.