Intel Alder Lake-S Home Server Plans?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
not the speed, the signal voltage peak2peak is the problem.
Peak to peak levels are also always configurable (that's the drive strength part of the link training I mentioned).

But I think you're missing my larger point which is, all PCIe devices (including motherboards with redrivers, etc.) must support linking up at the PCIe 1.0 spec, or they will not work at all. It doesn't matter if the incompatibility is electrical swing, speed, tiny leprechaun interference, or anything else. Because when first powered on, the PCIe spec (I just looked at 4.0 but I'm sure 5.0 didn't change anything here) says that everything links up as if it's a PCIe 1.0 device just so that they can easily communicate without having to worry much about signal integrity. Then, once the devices can talk (slowly) to each other, they advertise what speeds they support, and will possibly adjust electrical parameters (such as peak to peak voltage) to make sure the bus can support the signal integrity of the high speed link, and only then will they switch to a faster speed. If a device cannot do this, then it's not compliant with the spec, and probably won't work at all.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
If a device cannot do this, then it's not compliant with the spec, and probably won't work at all.
redrivers are not part of spec PCIE4/5. if used, compat. is not granted.
its much too expensive to match the whole specs. for that reason i sayd PCIE5 boards will not support all kind of PCIE gen.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Peak to peak levels are also always configurable (that's the drive strength part of the link training I mentioned)
but thats not apply to redriver/switch, this device is optimized for a specific gen. not all.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
If a redriver is used, it also needs to support the slower speeds, regardless of if it's part of the spec, or things won't work at all. There's no way for a device to get PCIe4/5 speeds without first linking up at PCIe1 speeds and then requesting a speed increase. If in practice it does not support the slower speeds, it won't work at the faster speeds either.
That also explains why I have had the problem with PCIe4 NVMe ssd running at 1/4 of bandwidth and even hung at higher I/O during my test setup. I had this setup:

PCIe4 slot ---> Supermicro Redriver AOC ( AOC-SLG3-2E4R ) ---> PCIe4 NVMe ( Intel P5800X)

Last edited: