Intel Alder Lake-S Home Server Plans?

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Curious if anyone is closely watching the upcoming Intel 12th Gen Core Alder Lake-S release and maybe planning a home server build based on it.
Has anyone seen any z690 motherboards with IPMI?
Looks like K SKUs only at first, so curious which model people are thinking would be best for a lower power server.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Z-series Intel chipsets are generally not going to have IPMI added by any vendor. Overclocking capability and IPMI normally don't go together. Closest you'll get on a consumer motherboard is Intel AMT on the W-series chipsets.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Yea, I get it, but I think we'll also need to see what happens.

DDR5 has ECC.
big.LITTLE should bring a good combo of low idle power + horse power on demand when needed.
iGPU is attractive to those of us running Plex, Blue Iris, or other GPU-dependent workload. No AIC needed.

Z chipset probably isn't ideal - i agree, but will be the first/only offering until 2022. Really hoping SM or Asrock Rack does a MB w/ remote mgmt of some type.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I am watching the space. You will want Intel W680 and W685 (enthusiast) chipset boards for Alder Lake Xeon. Supply might be a year out though, or more, depending on post C supply chain ramifications.

If you need something urgent, a E-22xx Xeon on C246 might be a good stopgap. Stuff is sold off and getting rarer though and 400 fiat for a 6C/12T E-22xx also feels a little off. Boards with IPMI also almost as much in price. Second hand pretty much dry, might need to scout the entry workstation segment of Lenovo or HP for a machine with those specs.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
As long as AMD has comparable segment solutions that support ECC memory that would be my choice.
I don't think that is something that needs that much attention. Both google and facebook is reporting FP unit hard faults on AMD cpus(originally it says CPUs with newer cmos process and architecture, but at the time of the report zen2 and zen3 are the only thing which uses new lithography). It will only get more serious in the far more aggressively clocked desktop CPUs, which was known to have high BSOD rate at stock(meaning some of them generates so much faults that the OS can't handle).

So in that case I don't think ECC could do that much. The CPU itself is reported to generate computational errors anyway, along with desktop SSD with low quality flash chips on aggressive clocks, and more. If you want stability, I think it's best to avoid desktop components alltogether, or go for older things manufactured at the time when hard faults isn't an issue.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Yea, I get it, but I think we'll also need to see what happens.

DDR5 has ECC.
big.LITTLE should bring a good combo of low idle power + horse power on demand when needed.
iGPU is attractive to those of us running Plex, Blue Iris, or other GPU-dependent workload. No AIC needed.

Z chipset probably isn't ideal - i agree, but will be the first/only offering until 2022. Really hoping SM or Asrock Rack does a MB w/ remote mgmt of some type.
DDR5 does not have true ECC, only on-die ECC.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Remember that Intel treats differently the consumer line (Core iWhatever) and the low end Server/Workstation line (The former Xeon E3 line). It could take a while before you actually see Alder Lake based Xeons E, so it is hard to speculate on that. The relatively recent Xeons E2200 and E2300 launches took several months after their consumer counterparts were released if I recall correctly.
And contrary to what happens in AMD, I think I have never, ever seen a BMC/IPMI on any of the Intel consumer platforms since Intel has a proper server platform based on that same silicon. On AMD you had AsRock Rack doing weird stuff like BMC with consumer X470 Chipset and somewhat unofficial ECC support because there isn't any proper Ryzen PRO platform squarely aimed to the Xeons E3. So forget having Z690 with BMC.