Intel 750 SSD and Supermicro X9DRH-7TF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dudde

Mar 24, 2017
Im having problem getting my Intel 750 SSD work on my Supermicro X9DRH-7TF board.
I updated bios to the latest version and according to Supermicro i should change to "UEFI boot mode" but i cant find any settings similar to that inside bios.

Im installing FreeNAS and they've supported Intel 750 since 9.3 at least. While installing i choose "UEFI mode" but i cant find any disk inside or any trace of it.
Running "lspci | grep Intel" wont list the drive.

Im pretty sure FreeNAS isn't the problem here. Im probably missed some essential settings inside bios but what i dont know.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
UEFI boot mode or DUAL should work, but I have only tested it on X10 boards (dont have x9)
But didnt have issues there with the 750, and FN detected it ootb

Have you updated the firmware? Tested in another MoBo? Different Slot?

Dudde

Mar 24, 2017
I have updated bios, tried the disk in a different setup and i worked. Tried in all available slots. Supermicro never said this disk shouldn't work with this board but i guess that must be the case here?

mancavecomputing

Jul 6, 2017
I had the same problem on a X10DRH-CT, unlike two other SM boards where EFI booting works perfectly and as expected. Keep in mind, NVME doesn't have to boot in UEFI mode. That seems to be a board limitation like yours and mine. Two of my other SM boards support booting NVME in Legacy mode no problem.

What you have to do is go into the BIOS and select:

Add New Boot Option (assuming you've already installed an OS in UEFI mode!)

Then find the string that looks like the OS you've installed (in UEFI boot mode) in Path for boot option, then navigate the directory list to find the EFI file, then select Create and give it a name. Note: if you booted your OS installer in legacy mode, then it's likely your OS is also installed in legacy mode and you'll have to reinstall. At least, that's how it works in Linux.

Then go to:

Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities

And move your EFI boot option to the top. Note: it's important to do this because otherwise, on my board it will not show in the list of UEFI boot options!