Intel 2600CP SDR File Hacking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrMeeb

Aug 12, 2019
you could set the board for factory mode but you need to edit the master.cfg file before running updateFRUSDR.nsh file.
If you look at the master.cfg gile you will see a section, uncomment out the SET factory like so:

//If it's for factory use, please un-comment FACTORY_MODE tag
SET "FACTORY_MODE"

I havent done this in a while so my instructions might be off. But if it does work you will see a new menu option for factory mode. it will set the fans to run lower then 100%. I dont know exactly but it might help you while you figure out the specific changes you need to do.
Managed to get factory mode as an option, but didn't seem to make any change.

In terms of progress, I've managed to change the fan upper and lower limits. However, when changing literally every part of all curves to 50%, nothing changes. I would have expected the fans to run at 50%, since all curves are all only at that value.

I'm beginning to believe that it is related to the fact that my P1/2 Therm Margin and P1/2 Therm Ctrl % sensors do not seem to be working, and are being reported as faulty. I've attempted to change certain values to remap the sensor (following this guide), but have had no success.

//====================================================================//
// Global Clamp Header Record , Record Subtype 0C
_SDR_TYPE C0
_SDR_TAG 'P4000M_BASE'
_SDR_TAG 'P4000M'
_SDR_TAG 'OTHER'
_REC_LEN 0017

// Sensor Record Header
00C8 // Record ID
51 // SDR Version
C0 // Record Type
12 // Record Length

// Record Body Bytes
570100 // Manufacturer ID
0C // Record Subtype Value (Fan Speed Control SDR Record, rev 2)
02 // Record Version
00 // FSC Record Type (00h = Global Clamp Header Records)

// Global Clamp Header Record
74 // Clamp Header ID
74 // Temperature Sensor Number -- (P1 Therm Margin)
00 // Entity Presence Sensor Number -- (NA)
64 // Sensor Disabled Control Value
64 // Sensor Fail Control Value
64 // Sensor Unavailable Control Value
00 // Sleep Control Value
28 // Sleep State and Hysteresis [7:6]-Supported in S1 (1=yes); [5:3]-Negative Hysteresis = 5; [2:0]-Positive Hysteresis = 0
40 // Clamp Control Coefficient LSB
00 // Clamp Control Coefficient MSB
FC // Temperature (FCh = -4 degree C)
01 // Clamp Flags [7:4] - CPU Number = 0; [3:1] - Reserved=0; [0] - Temp Source = 1 (use TControl)

// Global Clamp Header Record , Record Subtype 0C
_SDR_TYPE C0
_SDR_TAG 'P4000M_BASE'
_SDR_TAG 'P4000M'
_SDR_TAG 'OTHER'
_REC_LEN 0017

// Sensor Record Header
00C8 // Record ID
51 // SDR Version
C0 // Record Type
12 // Record Length

// Record Body Bytes
570100 // Manufacturer ID
0C // Record Subtype Value (Fan Speed Control SDR Record, rev 2)
02 // Record Version
00 // FSC Record Type (00h = Global Clamp Header Records)

// Global Clamp Header Record
74 // Clamp Header ID
24 // Temperature Sensor Number -- (P1 Therm Margin) <<-- remaped to the BB P2 VR Temp, which works, but doesn't seem to change anything
00 // Entity Presence Sensor Number -- (NA)
32 // Sensor Disabled Control Value
32 // Sensor Fail Control Value
32 // Sensor Unavailable Control Value
00 // Sleep Control Value
28 // Sleep State and Hysteresis [7:6]-Supported in S1 (1=yes); [5:3]-Negative Hysteresis = 5; [2:0]-Positive Hysteresis = 0
40 // Clamp Control Coefficient LSB
00 // Clamp Control Coefficient MSB
FC // Temperature (FCh = -4 degree C)
01 // Clamp Flags [7:4] - CPU Number = 0; [3:1] - Reserved=0; [0] - Temp Source = 1 (use TControl)

The sensor still reports as faulty, and the fans remain at 100%

I thought maybe fans are ramping to 100% since the sensor they're reading is reporting a fault, but when changing the fail response to 50%, nothing happens either. Totally stumped.

Does anyone have anything to suggest in terms of changing this sensor?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
when you run the update and select auto detect, how many sensors are picked up and how to they show up in the bios screen?
I dont have my intel server plugged in now, so i cant check the bios, but if there is a fault it should show up in the event log or sensor screen i would imagine.

MrMeeb

Aug 12, 2019
when you run the update and select auto detect, how many sensors are picked up and how to they show up in the bios screen?
I dont have my intel server plugged in now, so i cant check the bios, but if there is a fault it should show up in the event log or sensor screen i would imagine.
Yeah, I know that the 4 sensors I listed aren't functioning, since they are showing this on the System Event Log:

Beginning to think this could be related to why the fans want to remain at 100%? Hence why I wanted to remap it

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
maybe its time to invest in a fan controller and set fans high enough to deal with high cpu temps?

i also found this thread on the p1 issue. you can try to redo the bmc bios update to see if it resolved the issue.
Forums

MrMeeb

Aug 12, 2019
maybe its time to invest in a fan controller and set fans high enough to deal with high cpu temps?

i also found this thread on the p1 issue. you can try to redo the bmc bios update to see if it resolved the issue.
Forums
I think it may be an unrecoverable issue, much like the one the guy in that thread is suffering from. Time to explore other avenues.

Thanks for the help.

PhillyBilly

Aug 2, 2019
Hi there,

like some of you, i am fiddeling with buildung a home server. I've got an intel S2600CP2 and an S2600CP4 with 2 XEON-E5 2670 CPUs in a custom case (Phanteks Enthoo Pro). But i cant get neither of the two boards to POST correctly. Seemingly the problem had to do with the regular 3-Pin Fans, that i used in the case. So i replaced all of the case fans + CPU-fans with proper Arctic F12/F14 PWM-fans.

I have connected the new cpu fans correctly to CPU_FAN 1, 2 headers and SYSTEM_FAN 1,2 (front) 5,6 (top) and SYSTEM_FAN 7 (rear). All fans run, when i fire the thing up. POST-checks run and after some seconds of checking things, the board reports, that the rear-fan (SYSTEM_FAN 7) is faulty by lighting the rear-fan LED. All fans run at 100% speed and nothing happens anymore.

It doesn't matter, which of the new fans i connect to the rear-fan header (tested 4 of them, and all of them spin up, but get reported as faulty).

All of the new fans are 0-1.350 rpm (5 x Arctic F14 PWM PST CO for case, 2 x Arctiv F12 PWM PST CO for CPUs) - so that might be the problem?

For i do not get a signal on the VGA-port, i cannot tell, if and how i could "reset" the fan-settings, somehow.

Any suggestion how i could resolve at least this strange issue with the fans not being recognised correctly?

Or do i need to wait, till i get this PCI-E graphics card, so i can maybe "see" something onscreen?