Installing SAS Controller and SAS Hard Drive in Desktop PC ...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

KSN

Dec 31, 2020
Good day folks,

I recently acquired a SAS hard drive that I, unfortunately, cannot return. I've been scouring the internet trying to learn how to use this HD in my dedicated desktop Plex server PC running Windows 10 Pro. I have an open PCI-E Gen 3 X16 slot where I'd like to install a LSI Logic SAS9260-8I SGL Raid 8PORT Int 6GB SAS/sata Pcie 2.0 512MB. My research has led me to believe I can connect a Mini SAS Cable with SATA Power, CableCreation Internal Mini SAS 36 Pin to 4 x 29 Pin Cord with SATA Power, SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 Cable, 3.3 FT to the SAS Controller card and I'd be good to go. I'm not familiar with SAS hard drives. Will this controller and cable combo enable me to use the SAS HD I have? The mini SAS side of the cable would be connected to one of the two mini SAS ports on the controller card. One of the four opposite ends (SAS side) would go to the HD, right? Will this connection take care of both data and power?

Here is a pic of the HD (connection end).

My concern is the connection point circled in red. What goes there? And if something does go there, what is that type of connector called?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Happy New Year !!!!

Attachments

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Ignore the red marked connector.
SAS is left of it, https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/sas-v-sata-power-plug.16277/

You can use the adapter you mentioned (you need an additional Sata Power connector) or you can use
a miniSAS to 4 x Sata breakout cable and an adapter like Delock Products 62469 Delock Adapter SAS SFF-8482 receptacle > 2 x SATA plug that offers regular sata ports (2x as SAS can be multipath).

If you do not need raid but SAS only, you can use a cheaper HBA with an LSI 2008, 2307 or 3008 chipset.

Reactions: KSN

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Be aware that the card linked does not support passthrough, but raid only mode. I would further emphasize that if it's only one drive, you need to get an HBA instead. My go to recommendation is Dell H310 on ebay. Incredibly cheap and supported by almost anything. Even better (but harder to find) is the Lenovo H1110 for just how tiny it is (and you only have one drive).

Reactions: Markess and KSN

KSN

Dec 31, 2020
Be aware that the card linked does not support passthrough, but raid only mode. I would further emphasize that if it's only one drive, you need to get an HBA instead. My go to recommendation is Dell H310 on ebay. Incredibly cheap and supported by almost anything. Even better (but harder to find) is the Lenovo H1110 for just how tiny it is (and you only have one drive).
Thx for your help Andrew.

I found this Dell H310 on eBay. It looks like it comes with all the cables I'd need, right?

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Hmm, yeah come to think of it, half of the H310 cards I've bought come with one of those two-drive cables. Yes, they work fine. That's even better so you don't have to buy cables!

KSN

Dec 31, 2020
I think I found the 2nd card you recommended. Is this it IBM H1110 ? Do I need a card that's been flashed to IT mode?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You might need active cooling for a raid controller/hba in a PC chassis.

I had a 12gbit raid controller in a lian li chassis and after 2 minutes the Alarm would go Off because the controller was overheating

Ribonja

Jun 12, 2021
Hello all. I got few 6TB 12Gbps SAS hard drives in my hands but don't know how to connect them to my pc.
Can you please provide some links? Or the ones that KSN linked are good for what I need them for?
It will be used for CHIA mining and I just need them for space.

vertgard

Apr 4, 2022
Look at the Lenovo mentioned above. I bought the ServeRAID H1110 controller because it’s a low-cost solution for internal HDDs and SAS organized storage. It’s easy to handle, and you don’t need to connect extra cables. In general, H1110 comes in a standard PCIe form factor and enables you to support a wide array of servers, so you don’t have to worry. My previous hard drive crashed, and I had to retrieve my data with salvagedata.com, but the new one works very well. I don’t think the market can offer you anything better for this quality. The Dell one seems nice, but I’ve heard mixed impressions from my friends.