Installing and setting up Owncloud on All-in-one with Openindiana

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by berrmich, Jun 15, 2016.

1. berrmich

berrmich New Member

As above. How do I install owncloud. I see that it is a free addon for nappit. I went to openindiana console and installed both amp and owncloud using the commands on the napp-it page. Now what? I can't connect using http://ip/owncloud.

2. gea

gea Well-Known Member

This is a free community plugin from user zos intended for OmniOS.
    I am not using it myself but it may not work on OpenIndiana.

3. berrmich

berrmich New Member

Did I do it correctly?

4. zos

zos Member

Please provide the following log-files...
    /root/amp.log
    /root/owncloud.log

...and please check the status of apache and mysql:
    svcs {apache,mysql}

Are both services online?

Unfortunately I don't have any time on saturday, so I think I'll check your answer on sunday...

5. berrmich

berrmich New Member

Just getting back to this. I'm not sure how to check this? Or how to get to the log-files.

Also I noticed I could install this as an ESX image. What would be the advantage / disadvantage to this method?

-Mike

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  6. berrmich

berrmich New Member

Ok. So in nappit the apache-server and the mysql-server both say disabled. Is this what you mean?

7. gea

gea Well-Known Member

This is a very old thread.
    Use the infos only as a template how to setup such applications on OmniOS/OI.

There is no support for within napp-it.

8. berrmich

berrmich New Member

Yes its a bit old. It took me a while to get back around to it.

So is it better to set it up as it's own VM on ESX (I have All-in-one setup).

-Mike

9. gea

gea Well-Known Member

It's a matter of philosophy.

From first view, it seems the easiest way to just to run an installer to have additional services running on a nas like Own/Nextcloud. But then you want to patch a security hole, update Apache, Mysql, PHP or an other module or the OS itself. Some incompatibility and your whole system is no longer stable. Bugfixing affects availability of the whole system.

Next you can virtualize within/ontop of your NAS. OmniOS offers container virtualisation (Solaris and LX/Linux zones) and Byhve or Virtualbox. This reduces dependencies between base OS and virtual machines but every OS update can introduce problems.

If you need a stable and dependable platform for both virtualisation and storage, I would always keep the two as separate and minimalistic as possible. This means a type-1 hypervisor like ESXi and a minimalistic NAS distribution like OmniOS or Solaris/OI text and all other services in virtual machines with their best OS environment. Absolutely no dependencies and you can install/update each of them independently.