Input on whether the two CPU heatsink/fans will work

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

benraines304

Jan 28, 2017
I have a dual socket Supermicro X9 mother board that I'm using to build a server.

I purchased a copper heat pipe fan first from amazon and its a little bigger than I wanted.
And than I purchased a supermicro fan that is a better fit.

I paid $24.00 for the bigger fan and amazon wants $9 for me to send it back...

So I am wondering if I use both fans on the two sockets if I'll have any issues....

Im providing a picture of each fan and how they look in the case...
I can swap the fans if it will work better....

Or should I just buy another small heatsink.

Thanks

CaseWBothFans.JPG CoppertubeRadiatorFan.JPG SuperMicroSmallerFan.JPG

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hmm...

Your picture of your case is not of the SuperMicro 4U HSF you posted. It's of the SuperMicro 2U HSF.

If you can fit the 4U then run the 4U HSF it will be quieter and have less of a whine to it.

So to summarize, return the small SuperMicro 2U HSF and replace it with a 4U SueprMicro HSF (that you pictured).

If It were me I'd get rid of both of what you have and get 2x SuperMicro 4U HSF as they're awesome fans, cost very little and are quiet.

What model motherboard is it and what chassis is it going in? Suggestions may change if it needs something specific for the layout/size.

benraines304

Jan 28, 2017
Its going into a Silverstone CS380 tower, 9Xdrl-3f ATX Dual socket MB, 7 WD Red NAS, and a 650x watt Seasonic , 48 GB ECC ram

I'm building a small NAS for home use...

I already have the two fans.. Wanting to just keep the two if they will work..
I understand the sound on the 2U SM fan... It gets pretty loud when it kicks in from time to time..
But I'm going to eventually put it in a room that I won't notice it...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
you should rotate your heatsinks so the fans push air out the back
Wow, I can't believe I didn't even notice that.

Def. Def. Def. do this :)

The 2 sizes should be fine unless the 2U kicks up the RPM and makes turbulent air for the other HSF since it will likely move more air when temps go up up up.

benraines304

Jan 28, 2017
Yea, the SM 2u is going the wrong way.. that was an accident.. I'm waiting on a faster cpu and than I'm going to fix it..

I will set them both to blow towards the back..

Going right to left.. Should I have the bigger one behind the smaller one?