Inexpensive rj45 sfp+ adapter that are not locked

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
Need 4 or 5 sfp+ to rj45 adapters. I was going to go with of the the ones that servethehome.com reviewed. Going to be a bit expensive. I was wondering if anyone could suggest used rj45-sfp+ adapters that do 1/2.5/5/10? New cable service is 1.5gbs down, so had to do an upgrade. Bought a brocade x6610 and a hp 523sfp dual 10gbe cars for my opnsense box. I have a few internal systems on mellanox connect x2s,etc. Going to add a few more. Any suggestions?

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
Those buggers are always expensive, especially when buying several. Expect to pay a minimum of $70 USD for the multi-gig SFPs. I haven't seen that many on the used market unfortunately.

If you have SFP+ at both ends already, consider running DACs or fiber instead for some of them - Multimode fiber 10G SFP+ are a dime a dozen. Well OK more like $6 USD on eBay. You can make an offer for a whole tray of them. Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 10GBASE Multimode Fiber Optic Transceiver Module | eBay

Depending on the length of fiber you need, it may or may not save money. But yeah copper 10G and multi-gig SFPs are annoyingly expensive.

HDGuy

Jan 29, 2023
How about a sfp+ switch and then use DAC? I picked up a Solarflare S7120 PCIe card recently for $15 off eBay, works fine in both my Win 11 PC and my Unraid server.

I also picked up TP-Link TL-st1008f v2.0:switch off Aliexpress for $130 shipped and a TP-Link 2.5G rj45 module for another $25. I’m pretty impressed with it. For an unmanaged sfp+ switch it’s worked with every RJ45 module I’ve tried with it- 8 different 1G ones and the 2.5G one. Only thing is it doesn’t do 5G, but I don’t think that matters much. and the PS is kind of weak so I don’t know how it will do with more than 2 modules at once. One day I’m going to plug in every module I have at once and see how it does. Lol.

I think you’re not going to get much cheaper than that.