Inept scammer? Strange ebay experience

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

poto

May 18, 2013
During the course of early spring cleaning I am selling some surplus equipment on ebay, CL and tech websites. I just had a puzzling interaction on ebay, and wondered if more experienced sellers here recognized what is going on:

I sold mboard/cpu/ram on ebay, rec'd paypal, item delivered OK.
Sent polite inquiry after 2wks to make sure purchase was satisfactory. (buyer's Ebay ID was created day of purchase, no subsequent activity)

2 days later, rec'd email from DIFFERENT userid indicating problems, and that their previous message to me "would not transmit." (Note was vague, no detail, clearly non-native speaker, syntax not indicating tech fluency.) Ebay id was previously changed, but neither related to purchaser ID, no activity on account in last year. Advised them that I had no transactions with their ID, and to address any concerns via the ID used to make the purchase, and contact Ebay customer support regarding messaging problems.

Of course they are claiming that they cannot contact Ebay customer service, and that messages to me are "not transmitting", but continue to message me from a different ID than used for purchase. It seems like it IS the buyer messaging me, but they will not use the return/refund process.

The purchase ID is still active, but the ID of follow-up contact has been changed, and a VERY similar ID exists in E. Europe. The US IDs are all tied to the same pacwest state/city.

After a couple rounds of this, I reported the buyer to ebay, and blocked IDs of all but original purchaser, in case they want to follow legitimate return/refund process.

I don't have a devious enough mind to see where they are going here. It can't be about the money, <$100 purchase. Best I can come up with is trying to get me to refund to different paypal, keep purchase, then try 2nd refund under original purchase ID?

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Sounds suspect. Are you responding to their messages in EBay? (Does the EBay email notification to your email look like it's coming from EBay?
I'd be suspect about opening or replying to seller through your email account.

FYI. Have you read this thread about computer hacking and fake websites?
Dating sites: hackers and scammers

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Maybe it's a reverse 'triangular' scam, where buyers are trying to get refund to different user account and then putting 2nd refund request through original seller account?? I think you are right in only dealing with original buyer and blocking other users. And directing person to EBay to deal with their problems 'transmitting'.

I'd be wary of original buyer. I heard of sellers (I think post here about the 960GB Samsung SSD drives) saying buyer returned goods (perhaps to different address but in same suburb) but seller does not receive them. Then buyer lodges a refund through EBay and receives an refund because they can show a docket that goods were mailed back. But EBay does not check it was sent to the correct address.

Reactions: poto

poto

May 18, 2013
Maybe it's a reverse 'triangular' scam, where buyers are trying to get refund to different user account and then putting 2nd refund request through original seller account?? I think you are right in only dealing with original buyer and blocking other users. And directing person to EBay to deal with their problems 'transmitting'.

I'd be wary of original buyer. I heard of sellers (I think post here about the 960GB Samsung SSD drives) saying buyer returned goods (perhaps to different address but in same suburb) but seller does not receive them. Then buyer lodges a refund through EBay and receives an refund because they can show a docket that goods were mailed back. But EBay does not check it was sent to the correct address.
Yes, I only corresponded through ebay interface. It just seems like a large effort for small $$, but maybe they deal in volume.

I follow the "scam" threads here and elswhere - always learn something new.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
If it's a tri scam, I would lay a bet it's targeted at ebay users in the order of thousands at a time, these guys don't do small :)