Dating sites: hackers and scammers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Resolute

Feb 27, 2017
Dating scams collect tens of millions of dollars, possibly over $100M annually!

Many people thing of solo scammers (catfish) who try to elicit payments from unsuspected and trusting participants. This is not the full picture! Based on my experience, there seems to be some highly proficient IT experts in the scammers operation.

Several years ago, I fell to a scammer on a Yahoo dating site who said they were from Ghana. During the course of our conversations on Yahoo Messenger I believe my computer was hacked (running extremely slowly), I received 'spoofed' Yahoo emails and when they called, my phone IDD was 'spoofed' as well.

Recently, I was using the Zoost dating site and I suspect through their messaging software the scammers were able to get my IP address. Unfortunately I did not change the default router user name or password. I later noticed that they had set up an Administrator account in Internet Explorer. When I attempted to log onto my Yahoo emails I was sent to a 'spoofed' Yahoo email log in page. When my two step authentication failed I tried using the supposive Yahoo customer service chat service. The chat session closed when I tried to use it, and I called the supposive Yahoo customer service phone number (Yahoo does not have chat or a contact phone number on their site.) After they remotely logging onto my PC, they showed me that I had some remote connections to my computer (see attachment). I was then offered to buy some anti-hacking software from a third party supplier: $350 for 'Intel' software with 2 year licence or $650 for 'Microsoft' software. I am not aware that Microsoft or Intel have anti-hacking software!

This is a heads up to be cautious if visiting a dating site, as it is likely that there will be persons using fake or hacked accounts, who will attempt to access your computer; to dump malware or keystroke loggers; with view to scamming you to purchase software to ‘fix’ your computer, or to obtain passwords to bank accounts, etc. If you are carrying out an enterprise, I would suggest you ban the use of dating sites or third party messaging software on you business IT infrastructure.

Does anyone know the commands for running C:Windows\system32\cmd.exe
to obtain details of TCP connections to a computer?

Resolute

Feb 27, 2017
Would a internet connection through a mobile phone (using USB) with anti virus and anti malware be less secure that a modem connection?
Can the modem IP be changed and still work?
Thanks

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Less Secure - No

Modem IP Change - Depends on what your ISP offers you.

Reactions: Resolute

Diavuno

There's something to be said for having a virtual desktop install that you nuke each day at midnight ;)
I have many computers around my house, but for many things I use "werbbrowse_VM" the type has been there for years :D

That machine is also the front line for any downloading I want to do, it's probably been infected a couple dozen+ times in the years its been up!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The damage a hacker can do to you is nothing compared to what a woman will do should you be so lucky as to score one on a dating site. ;)