In vSAN all-flash, can I stripe two PCIe caching devices together?

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by frogtech, May 16, 2019.

1. frogtech

frogtech Well-Known Member

I have a very specific hardware setup that won't be changing and for the caching devices I want them to be write intensive. Due to budget constraints I'm limited to some smaller devices but want to know is it possible within the vSAN/vSphere interface to stripe those two caching devices together as one effectively larger cache device?

They're 2.5" PCIe SSDs, I can't RAID 0 them outside of the hypervisor.

Thanks.

2. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

No.
    If you present them as single drives then you can only use them as single drives. You could use two diskgroups though with one drive each if that helps

3. frogtech

frogtech Well-Known Member

Would performance suffer or actually improve and would it provide any increased resilience against disk failures?

4. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

if you run 2 diskgroups (per server) you can distribute slices to more than one dg per box , so depending on vsan policies more resilience or more performance.