I'm looking for wireless bluetooth earbuds for Android

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I've got airpod envy and want something to run with. Wires in 2017? That seems archaic.

I have a S7 and I'll be getting an S8. Here's what I've seen so far, but I can't decide. Anyone have experience on here? I don't trust amazon reviews at all.

Good reviews. Long battery. No local storage (need phone) and some tiny company.
Amazon.com: Skybuds - Charcoal (Black): Amazon Launchpad

Samsung's look like paid reviews on the front page.
Amazon.com: Samsung Gear IconX Cordfree Fitness Earbuds with Activity Tracker (US Version with Warranty) - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
1.5 hour play time. Not good.

Cheap, but I don't know if they'll stay in my ears:
Amazon.com: Rowkin Bit Charge: Stereo Wireless Headphones with Portable Charger. Bluetooth Earbuds, Smallest Cordless Hands-free Mini Earphones Headset w/ Mic & Noise Reduction for Running and iPhone (Space Gray): Cell Phones & Accessories

Jabra's seem newer
Amazon.com: Jabra Elite Sport True Wireless Sweatproof Fitness & Running Earbuds with Heart Rate and Activity Tracker: Cell Phones & Accessories

Moto sweatproof only
Amazon.com: Motorola VerveOnes+ Completely Wireless and Waterproof Smart Earbuds: Cell Phones & Accessories

Bragi seems to have the features but never heard of them and the name says Brag.
Amazon.com: Bragi - The Dash Truly Wireless Smart Earphones: Amazon Launchpad

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you get some, let me know. I am probably going to need to grab a new pair this spring. Knee and shoulder are healthy for the first spring in 3 years.

Reactions: Patriot

m0bilitee

Dec 1, 2015
I love my JLab Epic2 bluetooths for the gym. Highly rated on wirecutter.com. I've had mine since September and use them for 4 x 1.5 hour gym visits per week.

Amazon.com: JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED fitness, waterproof IPX5 rated, skip-free sound, pristine high-performance 8mm sound drivers, 12hr play time w/ microphone - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Like any buds it's all about fit. I had best success with Comply covers, running a large on the right ear and medium on the left ear. My ear canals are wildly different. /shrug.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Comply tips are definitely the way to go. They even have them at Best Buy now, but you get more tips for the same price if you buy them online.

My only recommendation is to stay away from Jaybird X3's. I previously had a pair of X1's, and they were great - I could leave my phone in a bag and get reception 40-60 feet away, whether indoor or outdoor. The X1's went bad, so I replaced them with a pair of X3's. I now have to attach my music player/phone to an armband - the reception breaks up if I put my device on the floor while I exercise on a bench with a clear line of sight from the device to the BT module in the buds.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
My only recommendation is to stay away from Jaybird X3's. I previously had a pair of X1's, and they were great - I could leave my phone in a bag and get reception 40-60 feet away, whether indoor or outdoor. The X1's went bad, so I replaced them with a pair of X3's. I now have to attach my music player/phone to an armband - the reception breaks up if I put my device on the floor while I exercise on a bench with a clear line of sight from the device to the BT module in the buds.
My Jaybird X2 set is somewhere in between what you describe. I can leave my phone on the floor of the exercise room while I go to the changing room, but sometimes I can't move more than 5-6 meters away from the phone while in the same room. Sound quality is very good, though.

Thanks for the tip regarding Comply. Will check it out.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
My Jaybird X2 set is somewhere in between what you describe. I can leave my phone on the floor of the exercise room while I go to the changing room, but sometimes I can't move more than 5-6 meters away from the phone while in the same room. Sound quality is very good, though.

Thanks for the tip regarding Comply. Will check it out.
I'm hoping for a firmware update to resolve the BT range issue on the X3's. The sound quality is great, better than the X1's, but the range is just crummy. I've tested it with multiple devices and had the same issue, and I've read many user reviews which highlight the same issue with range on the X3's.

The Comply tips make a huge difference. I don't have the technical knowledge to be an audiophile, but I'm something of an audio snob (e.g. I know good sound when I hear it but I can't describe it mathematically). I use a set of Shure Audio SE425's for my wired IEM listening, and both sets of Jaybirds (X1 and X3) I've owned sound really good to my snobbish ear when fitted with Comply tips. The SE425's are obviously superior, but those are the kind of IEMs you choose when listening to music stationary, by the fire, with a glass of wine in hand because you want to revel in the detail of the music. For active listening, the Comply tips make an amazing difference in the sound quality of the Jaybirds (or any other earbuds, I'd imagine)

BTW, the X3's come with a set of Comply tips in the manufacturer packaging rather than the generic tips the X1's came with.

Not that anyone should be considering the X3's given that I've skewered them on shitty bluetooth range. :D

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Those should work. They do make slightly different models where the material varies, some are designed to be more noise blocking whereas the sports ones are a more absorbent foam.
I tried the sports version and went back to the standard foam tips. The sport version does not work for me - when I sweat they slip worse than the standard versions, they tear easier, and they don't sound nearly as good. As long as I have a good fit the slippage on the standard version is not an issue for me.

Reactions: m0bilitee

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
+1 for Comply tips, been using them with various earbuds for just over 6 years now, never had any issues.

As for bluetooth audio phone independence, I use a BT receiver, specifically this one:
Amazon.com: Avantree aptX LOW LATENCY Bluetooth Audio Adapter for Headphones with Clip, Wireless Receiver with Microphone for Handsfree Call and Music - Clipper Pro: Cell Phones & Accessories

I have a liking for my collection of earbuds and quite a lot invested in them. I did buy two different BT headphone setups but I haven't liked either.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I grabbed the Samsung Gear IconX and may end up doing a mini review at some point.

They actually fit fairly well.

A few notes on the Samsung Gear IconX after a week:
  • Battery life on Bluetooth is not even 45 minutes. Terrible. Need to use local storage for music.
  • Very comfortable. Lightweight and they are staying in thus far.
  • Range is decent. Not through walls but you can get 20 ft away from a Pixel XL or Lenovo Yoga 900 and still get a clear signal
  • Bluetooth calling people can hear me no problem. I was slightly surprised with this. Then again, only for short calls since they die so quickly.
  • Bluetooth calling audio is only on the right headphone, not both at least by default. If you have both in, your left ear will be blocked and it will be harder to hear.
  • 4GB internal capacity is basically a must for workouts.
  • Battery life is too short for Bluetooth + a longer workout. For the Crossfit folks here, Murph - Workout of the day: Thursday 050818 is about as long of a workout that most folks will manage with these in on Bluetooth.
  • Controls are scary. They use a touchpad that is sensitive and not well defined. On calls I am afraid I will touch the earbud incorrectly and hang up.