Identifying Risky Counterfeit Intel Gigabit CT Network Adapters

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
We show off two popular Intel Gigabit CT Desktop EXPI9301CTBLK network adapters to help identify which is a risky counterfeit Ethernet card
That sticker in the middle that says "NEW" is an Amazon inventory sticker - the X0022JVU8T is an Amazon ASIN. However, it appears to be "on hold" at present because looking it up says to try again later, or to log into my seller account (presumably, only if I'm the seller). So I think this was at least a "Fulfilled by Amazon" marketplace seller, if not Amazon itself.

There used to be a problem where Amazon items and 3rd-party items of the same model got the same ASIN and shelved interchangably, resulting in "Sold by Amazon" sending out occasional fakes. I believe they changed things some years ago to keep Amazon's own stock separate from "Fulfilled by Amazon" stock, though.

Edited to add:
Intel’s forensic team can track the actual chips, but given the proliferation of using Intel’s product names in conjunction with these parts, it seems as though Intel is not serious about cleaning up these small grey markets.
It simply is the case that Intel cares more about their profit margin than their reputation. A simple solution to this would be for them to put Yottamark stickers on their OEM cards as well as their retail ones and realize that OEM cards do end up in the hands of individual purchasers. The fact that they don't Yottamark their OEM cards means that the per-sticker cost savings is more important to them than their reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick