Ideas to help with build

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by Bill Luttmer, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Bill Luttmer

Bill Luttmer New Member

computer is a worksation\server: Dell T5600
    Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows server 2016

CPU: 2 x Intel® Xeon x5650 2.6ghz
    Motherboard: system is Dell T5600
    Chassis:system is Dell T5600
    Drives:
    640gb WD6401AALS-00L3B2
    8TB ST8000DM004-2CX188
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
    RAM: 72GB

Add-in Cards: Dell perc 6/e and intel quad nic
    Power Supply: 850 watt
    Other Bits: currently md1000 with 15 1TB drives

Usage Profile: Running media server but also a few vm's, gns3, general server learning.

Hi all,

I am new here and have done a lot of readings here so far, cant seem to find the answer so I hope its OK to post here.

Right now I am running the Dell t5600 with the Md1000, its getting to be too loud and I cant move it to a quieter area.

I am researching things like getting the norco case and the HP expander, etc.

What I cant seem to find out is would the hp expander work with the perc 6/e? or is that asking for trouble.

Another thing is I have is a 3Ware 9650SE-16ML but then I would have to run two servers, which I am trying to avoid. the 3ware looks comparable to the perc 6/e from what i can tell, except so SAS ability, which is not an issue for me.

One thing I should not is I will be running vms and I went with the md1000 so I could have direct storage for running the vms. I was runnning them over the network from a nas and was having some stability/speed issues.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Thank you
    Bill