Ideas to check if a CPU works properly after misplaced its golden triangle to the socket?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Recently I heard a case from my friend, and I am trying to check if this cpu will work properly:
A ryzen cpu's pins got dirty by some mx-2 paste on them by a mistake and probably the cpu golden triangle was also misplaced when installing the cpu to the socket. The paste on the cpu pins is already cleaned by contact cleaner, and after that, the CPU is able to boot from the same motherboard, then ubuntu is installed for testing.

I already ran linux-kernel-build of Phoronix test suite on it, no problem. "chess" of Phoronix, also no problem.
Can I make a conclusion that the CPU works properly?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I would say if it tests normally then it works. I think it's unlikely there is damage that is difficult to detect after that kind of error.

P.S. how the heck did you get the triangle in wrong corner and not mess up a bunch of pins? Is it LGA CPU?

Reactions: newabc

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I would say if it tests normally then it works. I think it's unlikely there is damage that is difficult to detect after that kind of error.

P.S. how the heck did you get the triangle in wrong corner and not mess up a bunch of pins? Is it LGA CPU?
I think it works too.
It is an AMD ryzen with AM4 socket. If it is an Intel LGA CPU, I think it is quite hard to misplace the golden triangle in all of my experience.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
If the CPU was shoved into the socket with the wrong orientation, it WILL have bent or even broken pins. That's the first thing I would check.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Don't have a Ryzen but I would be surprised if the pins are symmetrical.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I have 20 years PC DIY experience with both AMD and Intel, and at least 5 years server stuffs with Intel CPUs, but this was my first time to meet a case on AM4. Last time of installing a AMD PC cpu myself was AM3+ years ago. In my own experience, it is very very hard with my hand to misplace the triangle corner but install a heatsink on that cpu easily and properly as usual.

Update:
Blender of Phoronix ran and no problem too.

The conclusion today: After I thought about all the posts above, the possibility of misplacing this cpu's golden triangle in the 1st post is pretty low. The only thing which caused the issue was the mx-2 paste on the CPU pins. And I can send a word to my friend as "Congratulations, it works properly."

Last edited:

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I was confused about Ryzen and no bent pins. I was thinking maybe it was threadripper or EPYC (both LGA), but you specifically said Ryzen

I like your new conclusion, no orientation issue, just some spilled grease.