Icy Dock flexiDOCK MB524SP-B Review Killer IT Service Desk Hot Swap Bay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Don't even think of putting any 15mm hard drive in these things, these are SSD's only. There goes the 2/4/5TB seagate drives.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Two things come to my mind:

1. I'd prefer version for 6xSSD, up to 7mm height (they have something similar, but with trays)
2. I'd like to see some keylock to prevent getting drives out (again, they have it for other docks)

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Interesting - How secure do the drives lock into the dock when they are in place vs. a more traditional dock with a latching arm?
Any concerns about long use when the dock is installed in a chassis near a slew of spinners and other vibration sources?
How feasible is it to have the dock installed rotated 90 degrees so the drives are vertical in the slots vs laying flat?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Rhinox when I was reading the piece I had the same thought on #2. I then realized that the answer is that you buy the other offerings if you want that security and this is more about quick in/ out.

@Blinky 42 perhaps @William is better to answer that.

William

May 7, 2015
They lock into place pretty good, very tight.

You can install the bay anyway you like, I don't think rotating it would make any difference. The slots are pretty well defined so no room for error when inserting an SSD. I can try later tho.

I have no concerns about installing it in a case with hard drives running near it. This is mainly for SSD's so vibration wouldn't bother them.

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
...I then realized that the answer is that you buy the other offerings if you want that security and this is more about quick in/ out.
Unfortunatelly, I did not find similar product for at least 4x2.5"@5.25", tray-less, with on/off switch and at least symbolic small key to lock drives in place...

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
as long as you dont mind drive trays i would still say go with icy dock one of the 4x2.5" hot swap bays will hold 15mm drives

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
@Patrick ever consider putting up affiliate links on your articles? 1) it provides a little extra revenue and 2) give us, the consumers/readers, a link to follow easily to purchase one/it.

Just a thought.