ICX7250 ERROR: Ethernet external port not connected

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
Hi all, I'm having an issue getting through the first steps on the Fohdeesha Brocade setup and am getting an error when trying to update uboot... Has anyone experienced this and how can I get it resolved? Thank you in advance! Details below:

Code:
Ruckus Networks Bootloader: 10.1.18T215 (Jul 13 2020 - 01:53:05)
Validate Shmoo parameters stored in flash ..... OK
Restoring Shmoo parameters from flash ..... 
Running simple memory test ..... OK
ICX7250-48 Copper (POE), PVT1 
SYS CPLD VER: 0x6, Released Ver: 0
Enter 'b' to stop at boot monitor:  0 
ICX7250-Boot> setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50
ICX7250-Boot> setenv netmask 255.255.255.0
ICX7250-Boot> setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
ICX7250-Boot> setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
ICX7250-Boot> setenv uboot ICX7xxx/mnz10118.bin
ICX7250-Boot> update_uboot
Loading image to Uboot Partition 2
ERROR: Ethernet external port not connected
at bcmiproc_eth.c:124/bcmiproc_eth_open()

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
are you sure you have a working ethernet cable plugged into the dedicated management port? send a picture of where you have it plugged in

Reactions: sic0048

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
@fohdeesha in order for me to access the switch and set an IP, I had to connect via mini USB. Should I now be making my connections via the Ethernet port/Telnet? Using MacOS w/ Terminal/Switch.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
@fohdeesha in order for me to access the switch and set an IP, I had to connect via mini USB. Should I now be making my connections via the Ethernet port/Telnet? Using MacOS w/ Terminal/Switch.
The guides are pretty clear honestly. However some people get tripped up because they don't understand the difference between the dedicated management port (usually on the rear, but the location depends on the model) and a regular switch ethernet port. (EDIT - the management port is also different from the serial port). You'll end up needing to connect to the switch both ways at different times, but you must use the correct connection at the correct time or it doesn't work.

Re-read the written guide and make sure you find and use the dedicated management ethernet port when the guide tells you to.

Last edited:

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
Connections below.

Now at the boot prompt, give the bootloader a temporary IP on your network, as well as supply the IP of your TFTP server where it can find your files. Replace the example IPs with your own. This IP is only going to be used temporarily by the bootloader. We'll also tell it the filename & path of the firmware images:

#Temp IP address of the switch:
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin

Now we tell it to flash a known bootrom and reboot, so we'll be on a bootloader version we know can flash our OS image. After sending the reset, be sure to start smashing the b key so you land back in the bootloader:
update_uboot
saveenv
reset
I see where I went wrong re: my IP address assignment and do admit that I skimmed that part, but I am confused about where the update_uboot prompt is entered. I am doing all of this in Screen on MacOS, which is connected via serial. Am I supposed to connect simultaneously via ethernet management/the temp IP using telnet and have a separate terminal for that?

Which terminal is the update command entered in? Based on the instructions I am assuming everything is done in the same window, but maybe I am supposed to be doing it elsewhere...

IMG_9157-min.jpeg

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
Which terminal is the update command entered in?
Enter the commands in the terminal you are connected to using the console cable. The console cable wil keep your session alive in between reboots which are required in that guide which if you telnet will need to reconnect constantly. I am not even sure if telnet is enabled in this mode, either way once you get further down in the guide you can setup ssh keys and settings to allow remote connection.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
OP, you have the wrong cable connected to the management port. Those flat pastel blue cables are typically Cisco serial console. Use an ethernet cable and connect route it to your switch--see icon next to the port. Notice the serial port has a 1010 icon. A good way to tell is most console ports don't have LEDs while out of band management ethernet ports do. When you connect a cable to the management port to your switch the LEDs should light up to signify layer 1 link so long as the uplink switch is on.

Reactions: joak928

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
After re-reading the instructions and the post above, I think I am seeing where I'm possibly going wrong...

I have a RJ45 to USB connector in the management port, as opposed to a RJ45 from the switch to my router...

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
So the 7250 does not have a typical console port. It is a mini usb RJ45 to USB will not work - Your usb cable might also not work

OP did you get a console cable with your switch as that looks like a regular USB cable.

You will need https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...be-40gbe-switching.21107/page-478#post-422181 probably 2 cables a USB to Serial Port then Serial Port to USB as the 1010 console cable is not digital.

The port you are connected to is the management port that is mentioned in the guide so you can just connect regular ethernet to it and another switch.

joak928

Apr 4, 2024
So the 7250 does not have a typical console port. It is a mini usb RJ45 to USB will not work - Your usb cable might also not work

OP did you get a console cable with your switch as that looks like a regular USB cable.

You will need https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...be-40gbe-switching.21107/page-478#post-422181 probably 2 cables a USB to Serial Port then Serial Port to USB as the 1010 console cable is not digital.

The port you are connected to is the management port that is mentioned in the guide so you can just connect regular ethernet to it and another switch.
@BoGs I have a setup similar to the one referenced going into the console port... mini-USB to serial and a serial to USB. I am able to connect to the switch and get into bootloader mode - the issue that I'm experiencing is when trying to update the uboot, which I am assuming is an issue due to me trying to connect a RJ45 to USB to the management port as opposed to just a regular ethernet cable going to my internet source...