ICX6610, 40Gb, 100Gb, LC - LC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rootless

Thank you
Aug 9, 2021
Ok. I've seen clearly that spending time and money trying to get 10Gb+ running over a ~20M CAT6 cable run is just $$$ and not nearly as good as just running a fiber.

It looks like I can get 40Gb+ for the same price as 10Gb, using fiber.

My main switch is a Brocade ICX6610-48P. (Thanks to ServeTheHome, I can use the 2x 40Gb ports on the back, along with the 10Gb SPF+ ports on the front).
To do 40Gb from the 6610 means QSFP+ (not a significant price difference between QSFP and QSFP+).

Right now my plan is to run LC - LC OM4 (or OM5) fiber between the 6610 and my PC. The reason for going LC - LC is to enable future upgrades to 100Gb over the run when the cost comes down. Or maybe it is worth it to just put the money into the 100Gb now and get a new switch when that part comes down?

The questions are:

Try for 40Gb using QSFP+?

What NIC/HCA for my PC? (Yes, I know and can calculate the bandwidth limitations of the PCIE bus. This is both for immediate use AND for future use)

What QSFP+ transceiver do I need for the NIC/HCA that supports the LC - LC? OR do I just need to go MP?

Thank you, thank you in advance. I've been going round and round and just can't get the certainty I need to pull the trigger.

Rootless

Thank you
Aug 9, 2021
Thank you. The prices on those transceivers is great. I was hoping to only do the fiber pull once. Is there an LC-LC SMF that will support both 40G and 100G (obviously not at the same time)? Thank you.

Rootless

Thank you
Aug 9, 2021

Rootless

Thank you
Aug 9, 2021
As for the ConnectX-3 there are so many different versions.

Is it better to get a CX353A, a CB194A, or something different?

Thank you, thank you.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
pretty sure MCB194A is an IB-only card and not a ConnectX-3, that listing's description notwithstanding. 353 is fine, that's a single-port QSFP CX-3. 354 would be the dual-port one. The suffixes indicate IB speed with stock firmware, but all variants of CX353/354 can be flashed to FDR. There's also a FLR version for HP mez. And you know the CX311/312 with SFP+.

Reactions: Rootless

mach3.2

Feb 7, 2022

Rootless

Thank you
Aug 9, 2021
Thank you for the Mellanox nics link. I knew it had to be here on the forum somewhere, but couldn't come up with the right key words.

And thank you for the ESXi 8 heads up. I was playing around with VMware at one point, but the hardware support was so picky it lost its use-case. Though I would still love to afford ConnectX-4 hardware, it isn't in the budget yet.