IBM Z14 5.2Ghz...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Hot Chips: IBM's Next Generation z14 CPU Mainframe Live Blog (5pm PT, 12am UTC)

I've no experience in the mainframe world, and everything I've heard has IBM losing marketshare as people move to more off-the-shelf things but hot damn they're still pushing forward on it. And then there's the OpenPOWER stuff from IBM/Google, looks really neat -- IBM is still relevant.

Anyone here at STH work on mainframes or IBM Z systems/Power systems?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Power here :)
But some pretty big differences between Z and P even if they share some things.

One thing that I can tell you at least on AIX is that the systems can run 100% and will really use all the I/O available, they are a tightly integrated package for sure. Don't yet have any power9 for testing but can't wait for release :)

Reactions: gigatexal

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ian and I went to dinner after that presentation (or that block of presentations) and discussed that quite a bit. 128MB L3 cache!

Someone got up and asked about power consumption. There were more than a few confused looks like "if you have to ask..."

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
The client I work for has Z114 system that is running z/VM. All the VMs are RHEL linux. I think they will be swapping out the 114 for z13 since the 114 is maxed configuration and hitting max load. It's interesting the kind of sub processing these mainframes have to handle IO and shared resources. I forgot how many wintel servers and cpu were needed vs the one z13 system with like 8 IFLS. It was pretty high, and when software licensing is based on costs per cpu, running 8 "cpu" on a mainframe vs say 48 on wintel is a huge difference in licensing costs.

I'll send the link posted to the mainframe guys, they love that stuff. :)

Reactions: T_Minus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ian and I went to dinner after that presentation (or that block of presentations) and discussed that quite a bit. 128MB L3 cache!

Someone got up and asked about power consumption. There were more than a few confused looks like "if you have to ask..."
Power is not that bad compared to throughout at load ! Ie transaction / watt.
The idle power not so good but I can't say I would see a day in the year that the hardware is below 50% used in our environment.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
x86 is moving the way of the mainframe with intel's aquisition of alterra I think they'll do more co-processor stuff. i don't think it'd be too crazy to think they'll have dedicated asics for accelerating all kinds of IO, i mean they already do for crypto and such.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
My former employer, who tossed most of the IT folks to the curb in favor of "Managed Services", is a big IBM shop and still uses iSeries AS/400 and RS/6000 AIX.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
My former employer, who tossed most of the IT folks to the curb in favor of "Managed Services", is a big IBM shop and still uses iSeries AS/400 and RS/6000 AIX.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Hahaha wasn't the last RS/6000 branding used on the PPC604e based systems ? Just checked was used upto power3.
Still that's long ago :)