IBM x3650 M3 internal HBA for FreeNAS - ASR-71605 and rewiring?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Anaerin

Dec 22, 2019
I have an IBM x3650 M3, with the 16-bay front, and it's currently running an M5015 RAID card (Which doesn't work with FreeNAS without some non-standard flags set, and even then it's... interesting).

The way it's connected internally is the 2 SFF8087 connectors on the x8 RAID card in one of the back x16 slots are then connected to a 2-4 SAS expander in the internal x8 slot, and the 4 SFF8087 connectors there then attach to the backplane. (Morten Hjorth has a video on the setup here:
)

What I want to do is switch to a FreeNAS-supported HBA, and ideally free up a slot, and I got the "smart" idea to replace the pair of cards with an Adaptec ASR-71605, which is half-height (and therefore should fit in the internal slot without issue). But the Adaptec card has SFF8643 Mini-SAS connectors on it, so I would also need to buy 4 converter cables.

Is this a good idea? Has anyone done anything like this before? Should I just grab a M1015 and swap the M5015 with that, forgetting the idea of freeing up a PCI-E slot?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I don't know if FreeNAS has good support for the Adaptec ASR-71605H (assuming you meant the HBA version). And even if there's a FreeBSD driver for that HBA card, you might not find a lot of FreeNAS users using it. You might be better off using some sort of LSI HBA SAS controller instead.

For example, here's a 6yr old post regarding FreeNAS support of this card:

Feature #2502: Adaptec 71605 multidisk adapter support? - FreeNAS - iXsystems & FreeNAS Redmine

I don't know if things have changed since...

I think the M1015 (or M1115) idea might make more sense...

Anaerin

Dec 22, 2019
Well, there is an official Adaptec driver for these cards (aacraid(4)) but there isn't much info about it. I'm thinking the M1015/M1115 (Whichever is cheaper) is the way to go. I don't think an LSI 9201-16i is going to fit where the expander card is, and it's 5 times more expensive. An extra x16 slot is not worth that to me.