IBM Serveraid M5110 experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

narkotsky

Jan 28, 2013
Hi - first post here. Looking for anyone to share his/her experiences with abovementioned controller. How fast is it to initialize during boot/post would be one question I'd like to get an answer since I'm planing to use in a workstation rather then 24x7 server. As well did anyone here ever bought from http://www.allhdd.com ?

Cheers:)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Welcome!

The IBM ServeRAID M5110 is a LSI SAS 2208 based card. On the SAS 2108 based cards, the bootup was longer than other firmware with the stock IBM firmware. Good chance you could flash this. Still RAID controllers generally take a lot of time to initialize.

Overall, may be worth a shot although they are selling those for much less than other sources.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a thought, I have seen a strong RR correlation to the experience I have with vendors.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I bought SAS drives from ALLHDD. My experience was good, but they don't stock everything locally. My drives came from a suppler in CA and had to be shipped to NY and back to CA. They called same day to notify me and explained it would take longer. They also called when they re-shipped the drives from NY. The 6 drives came in 1/2 of one of those hard drive shipping boxes.

I have had the same experience of "In Stock" yet ordered from a vendor and sent back east then re-shipped when buying items from Provantage.

Last edited:

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
I buy one m5110 for my new home server and received it today.
I test it in my old current computer (MB with intel X38 chipset) and it won't boot (no beep, black screen when computer is up) :mad:
I must wait the new server motherboard or try to find an another mb to test (with pci-e 3.0 ?), grrr

Edit : I try the fca's solution with success. thanks

Last edited:

Torayld

Mar 10, 2014
i have m5110 with 512Mb cache on gigabyte h77n-wifi pci-e 3.0 with i3 3220t (pci-e 2.0 sic.) built in fractal node 304 and same bug.

i use nail on pin 5 and 6 with success my card was built in 07-2013 with bios 5.38, cache vault is enable by default (factory installed), raid 5 is enable without BBU

cachecade pro 2.0 is activated by trial key with command line, no option in MSM 13.11.01.00

i wait for my sas cables to build my LD

is it normal at startup, the chip temperature is 65°C (149°F) i will buy Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX to push air on it

Martin Thygesen

Jun 15, 2014
There a lot of forums around about the Z77 & 1155 socket chipsets not working with these cards, there are certainly issues, but in most cases a MB Bios update should help getting things working. Most of the issues seem to come from "sequencing" & signalling between the MB Bios and the Raid Controller Bios

I have this Card running in my ASUS P8Z77-V LX, updated the bios to latests (circa 2014/06), also flashed the card with Megacli (DOS) to LSI's latest version for the equivalent 9265-8i card. I initially could not get the web bios working on the Z77 motherboard, since ASUS and a number of other manufacturers have some issue with their UEFI BIOS. After 1 week of messing around I discovered a way to get into the web bios, this should apply to most others, it's just a matter of getting the sequence right.

Megacli and Storcli work on these cards, however sas2flash and megarec don't, based on my testing and other forums.
Because of this it's difficult to change the BIOS over from IBM's to LSI's.
After looking at some doco on the internet, I discovered that LSI ship the BIOS for these cards SAS2208 inside their Firmware ROMs.
The problems is how to extract it and install it over the IBM version.

I believe after some testing it is possible to get sas2flash working on these cards only if you were to use a Ubuntu live disk with sufficient storage to install the LSI 9265 drivers and the sas2flash and storcli apps. I've not tried this yet, as it's too time consuming, and at the moment my card is working as needed.

The card is installed in the PCI 3x 16x slot, in the BIOS, the slot is setup as "Auto"
This is the slot closest to the CPU, I think #1.

Booting to webbios on problem UEFI motherboards:
For starters, use the Advanced Bios
Under the Advanced Bios make sure the Bios Boot Menu "Optional Rom Messages [Force Bios]" is set to "Force Bios"
Before trying to access Web Bios is it worth checking that the card can be access from DOS using Megacli.
Alternatively make sure you can use the Pre Megacli environment form the card itself. (I think CTRL-Y)

1) <DEL> on Asus or * Splash Screen, or what ever the MB Bios entry key is.
The MB Bios should then flash up the Raid Controller Bios booting page.
2) <CTRL+H> on the Raid Controller Bios screen for the Raid Controller
3) Immediately <DEL> before the Asus or * Splash screen, this pushes you back into the Asus or * Bios
The MB Bios should then flash again, it depends on the timing.
- On a ASUS you have 3 options, <F2> or <DEL> for MB Bios Main or the Boot Selector Option<F8> => "Menu" or "Start Bios"
4) Select Boot from the Advanced Menu
5) Scroll to the bottom and select the Manual Boot Override - Raid Controller, which has now been told to boot to Web Bios.
6) Select, you will be forced to choose Save and Exist select yes, this will start Web Bios.
7) Exit as required and reboot etc.

You could also try going from #3 above direct to Raid Controller option boot, I've not tried it but I suspect it would work, this would save not having to go back into Advanced Menu in the MB Bios

Getting back into the Asus bios for changes:
Select <DEL> or <F2> or <F8> just after the Raid Card Bios POST.
Make Changes as required and save.

What I can see is happening is that the <CTRL+H> tells the card to boot the Web Bios host, (likely a java based server), one time, rather than letting the card boot the preferred disk.
From a lot of reading on other Forums, the issue appears to be signalling between the Bios and the Raid Controller. For Server/Workstation boards this is more formalized apparently.
By forcing the sequence, which you can on the ASUS UEFI Bios, it appears you can trick it into booting the Web Bios.

I then built a VMware 5.5 update 0, live USB with Stor Cli and the Realtek 8111E NIC drivers inserted into it using ESXi-Customizer-v2.7.2.
I had tried 5.5 Update 2 but this failed, not sure why.
Also when using update 0 I had a number of success/failures on getting the live 5.5 disk to see the controller.
I've not pinned down what the issue is here. I messed around with different starting sequences and got it installed but ran out of time to find the exact issue.
Just try it yourself and see how you go.
Alternatively try an Openstack or Hyper-V install if you need to use this as a VM Server.

- Cheers