IBM M5015 Reflashed to LSI 9260-8i, confused about Feature vs Performance keys and if I can use a SSD cache.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cyber Akuma

Jan 9, 2013
I have an IBM M5015 that I reflashed to LSI 9260-8i years ago, and setup a RAID5 on it using HDDs.

I want to upgrade that now to a RAID6 and add a SSD to use as a cache as well. But I mis-understood what I needed to do in order to achieve this, especially since it was originally an IBM card and not just a straight LSI branded card.

I wasn't aware there were different keys depending on if it was originally an IBM or LSI card, and that IBM cards had apparently two keys, an "Advanced Feature Key" and a "Performance Accelerator Key".

ServeRAID M5015 and M5014 SAS/SATA Controllers Product Guide (withdrawn product) > Lenovo Press

From my understanding, the Advanced key is easy to find for around $10-20 on eBay or such, but it only enables more RAID options and does not enable CacheCade 2.0. The Performance key enables everything... but goes for hundreds.... supposedly.

I had somebody show me this:

Which appear to be cachecade keys for less, but I have no idea if these are the correct key, especially for my IBM-reflashed-to-LSI card.

It's also not clear if CacheCade is LSI's name for having a SSD Cache, or is a more advanced/faster form of cache and I can still use a SSD cache without using the CacheCade feature.

Can someone help clear this up for me? What I would need to do in order to enable RAID6 and SSD cache on an IBM M5015 reflashed to LSI 9260-8i? And if it's not possible to add a SSD cache to it without buying an old key for hundreds, then I will just have to go with RAID6 without a cache.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It's also not clear if CacheCade is LSI's name for having a SSD Cache, or is a more advanced/faster form of cache and I can still use a SSD cache without using the CacheCade feature.
Cachecade is broadcoms ssd caching technology: when enabled the controller will use the ssd to speed up reads of small data (I think small was defined as 64KByte or less in one of the pdfs). For write cachinng you will need at least two ssds, configured in a redundant array (think raid 1, 5 or 10).
With enabled cachecade the controllers ram is not used for caching anymore, but for storing cachecade metadata.

Cyber Akuma

Jan 9, 2013
Wait, I need two SSDs in order to have a SSD cache for my HDDs? And sounds like using CacheCade is the only way to get any sort of SSD cache for my card? Although I am still not sure what my situation with the key I would need is.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
1x ssd for a read cachecade volume
mininum 2x ssd for a write cachecade volume (configured as raid 1, 5 or 10. Raid 0 enables read cache only)