IBM M5015 - Battery issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jeffshead

Feb 11, 2015
I have three re-purposed PC's that all have IBM M5015 RAID controllers which I've cross-flashed with Sun LSI 9260-8i firmware. Two are esxi servers and one is being used as a physical backup server with Veeam. I see that the battery relearn cycles are happening several times a month even though they are set to occur monthly. This causes latency issues because the the controllers are switching between write back and write through. Sometimes the batteries show as failed in MSM battery details even though everything shows as optimal in the MSM dashboard but most of the time the batteries show as optimal.

I've replaced all three batteries and still experience the same issue. The batteries are new and unused.

Is this a common issue? Is there a fix? Should I look at replacing the controller cards with a different model? Veeam One is driving me nuts with email alerts about total disc latency above the threshold, warning, error, reset, warning, error...

Are there any better RAID controllers at the same price point? I think I paid between $50-90 per card (used) and around $50 for each replacement battery.

Last edited:

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
IIRC, some tome ago some LSI-firmware changed something concerning battery. There had to be one extra-step after flashing firmware to controller (something like gas-gauge firmware update). Look for some info in firmware-packs. It was about a year ago...

Edit: check 23.32.0-0009 firmware! That one was the first with gas-gauge firmware upgrade.

Better raid-controller? Definitely those with super-capacitor, i.e. M5016. Some time ago I got a few new on ebay for very good price.

Last edited:

jeffshead

Feb 11, 2015
Thanks... I'll keep my eye on ebay for that card. I remember looking for that same model but used ones at a good price with capacitor are scarce.