IBM M1210 raid

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Al89

Feb 1, 2023
Hi,

I purchased a IBM Lenovo ServeRAID M1210. It said it was flashed to IT mode. However, when I boot the system with the card in it I get:
AVAGO MegaRAID SAS FreeBSD mrsas driver version: 07.709.04.00-fbsd
mrsas0: <AVAGO Fury SAS Controller> irq 41 at device 0.0 numa-domain 0 on pci10
mrsas0: Waiting for FW to come to ready state
mrsas0: FW now in Ready state
mrsas0: Using MSI-X with 2 number of vectors
mrsas0: FW supports <96> MSIX vector,Online CPU 2 Current MSIX <2>
mrsas0: mrsas_init_adapter: sc->reply_q_depth 0x1e0,sc->request_alloc_sz 0x778, sc->reply_alloc_sz 0xf00,sc->io_frames_alloc_sz 0xf100
mrsas0: max sge: 0x46, max chain frame size: 0x400, max fw cmd: 0xef sc->chain_frames_alloc_sz: 0x3bc00
mrsas0: Issuing IOC INIT command to FW.
mrsas0: IOC Init failed, status = 0x3
mrsas0: Adapter initialize Fail.
device_attach: mrsas0 attach returned 6
mrsas0: <AVAGO Fury SAS Controller> mem 0xe0100000-0xe010ffff irq 41 at device 0.0 numa-domain 0 on pci10
mrsas0: Waiting for FW to come to ready state
mrsas0: FW is in FAULT state!!
device_attach: mrsas0 attach returned 6

Could someone provide some instructions on how to flash this card. I have looked all over Lenovo's website, but I have not been able to find any firmware updates for this card. Should I be use Firmware from the LSI/Broadcom website?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
The card is equivalent to a 9341-4i. You can definitely use the LSI firmware for that and it will work. You should also be able to cross-flash to the 9300-4i IT mode. This is found in the Legacy HBA section of the Broadcom site.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
So I bought one from China ebay and ended up bricking the thing. Never, ever connect pins J6 on these. :)

Al89

Feb 1, 2023
I have tried to flash this card for what feels like forever. This is the error I get: IMG_9447.JPG
No Avago SAS adapters found!

Is it documented somewhere how to flash this card?

How do I resolved this issue?

Thank you!

bryce527

Oct 1, 2023
Any progress? I have the same card and need to flash to IT Mode

Edit: I was able to Flash mine to IT Mode.

Last edited:

Rauume

Oct 17, 2023
Any progress? I have the same card and need to flash to IT Mode

Edit: I was able to Flash mine to IT Mode.
Do you have any instructions/files on how you did it? I've been searching for the last month on this...
I have storcli and megarec communicating to the card, but sas3flash doesn't want anything to do with it

bryce527

Oct 1, 2023
Do you have any instructions/files on how you did it? I've been searching for the last month on this...
I have storcli and megarec communicating to the card, but sas3flash doesn't want anything to do with it
I can look up the files I used but I followed mostly this page's instructions:
- https://www.servethehome.com/flash-lsi-sas-3008-hba-e-g-ibm-m1215-mode/
and also referenced these two pages as well:
- SOLVED - IBM M1015 Flash to LSI 92xx
- Detailed newcomers' guide to crossflashing LSI 9211/9300/9305/9311/9400/94xx HBA and variants

I attached the files that I used. You may or may not need to rename the sas3flash.efi to sas3flsh.efi. Not sure.

This is IT firmware version of : 9300_4i_Package_P13_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

I cannot remember If I had to anything special before following those instructions on that first link, I should have documented it as I couldn't find any reference on doing this.

Attachments

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Chiming in with lenovo's pull of p/n 00JY196, aka ServeRAID M1210 or 1215.
There's no jumper other than UART(neat for debugging i guess).
I've spent 6 or so hours trying to erase it with megarec, megacli, sas2flash, sas3flash to no avail
The reason I was is very interesting, I use supermicro chassis with sas expander, 12LFF, 4 sas ports on the back. And this HBA. And I have r/w SATA drive with linux rootfs, on intel ssd and hpe firmware. That works.
And I have 4 8TB SAS HGST non-brand drives that only work in read-only. Any attempt to write returns io error, invalid sense, and upon pulling the hba event log from megacli from freedos i discovered it was reporting sense code of 5/24/00, which dell rep describes here:

Hi,
This Warning message appears mostly when encountering a non-Dell drive or an incompatible drive FW. If a non-certified drive is not used,
So I may be owned by lenovo the same way, but no attempt to flash/erase it did detect the card, the only tool that can communicate to this card is megacli from dos. megarec also doesn't see it. sas2flash doesn't see it. i was hoping to be able to use these older tools to solve the problem but i'd say it's not worth it at this point.
If anyone actually worked on this single-port hba, please update the thread.

TLDR This HBA will work with non-lenovo SATA, but is read-only with non-lenovo SAS(i don't have lenovo branded drives to confirm)

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Solved today in my final attempt, thanks to @bryce527 files and @fohdeesha classic DOS ISO for PERC.
megarec from fohdeesha's pack was the only and first tool that worked. i issued megarec -clearflash 0, then overwritten SBR, then rebooted into EFI and used sas3flash.efi from the pack above, then sas3flash -o -sasaddr and rebooted. I did install bios too since it's a server and takes a long time to boot in general. And it won't be rebooted that many times a year, who cares.
Immediately after first boot into linux, those SAS drives worked as r/w, no problems. So if you have IBM or lenovo's version of this HBA, you'll only have SATA r/w, but SAS drives that are non-lenovo branded will work in read-only transparent mode.
Thank you guys, I do have this pack of tools and valuable knowledge from now.

Reactions: liv3010m