IBM M1015 DOA or Motherboard Problem?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

krelkor

Jan 20, 2016
Hi all,

Have a bit of a problem on my hands and unsure what else I can do to troubleshoot.

I purchased an M1015 a few weeks back and have been pulling my hair out trying to get my Supermicro X8SIL-F to recognize the card (settings tweaked, bios updated etc etc) but I still get the "no MR controller found" message when running the megarec -adlist tool (nor the SAS2FLSH tool. I also cannot get it to be recognized in another Gigabyte board either. Heatsink does not warm up, and no heartbeat LEDs either. I suspect its 100% DOA.

the eBay seller is now giving me the runaround saying the IBM M1015 will only work in IBM motherboards so he's off the hook... is there any further proof I can muster to show this is DOA? (I dont have an IBM board to test).

Thanks guys :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
AFAIK the heartbeat LED on the LSI cards begins flashing as soon as the clock on the card comes up when powered. There is a fuse that is known for popping on them when they are accidentally inserted into a board that's still powered or still holding power. Another member here had a similar issue a few days ago, here's the link to that thread: M1015 woes
It sounds like the card is not powered, so likely the fuse has popped, however, if it's intact, the card itself is goosed and should be returned. You could replace it, however if you do, you cannot return the card obviously. As for the bull the seller is giving you, tell him he's misinformed (politely) :)

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I am totally with whitey...

the fuse would be blown-up

if you have 15-30 small soldering, easy to replace. or just bypass the fuse (assuming never happens short-circuit or over-current.

tell the seller that the card is DOA, and tell them to that you are using with IBM server :D
the seller play a gimmick, yes you can :D

m1015 can be install from desktop to server motherboard and works.. as long as not slotted via pcie multiplexer

krelkor

Jan 20, 2016
Thanks for the thoughts gents, I'm in agreement. Lets see if the seller is professional and takes it back - unfortunately I don't have any kit to deal blown fuse (especially since this thing is DOA and he should refund it)

TechIsCool

Feb 8, 2012
Clinton, WA
techiscool.com
@whitey Yup I did fix your card but we did have a bad one that pulled more than double the amount of current through the fuse and would not hold. Did not want to destroy a motherboard so the card was classified as DOA after double stacking the fuses.

I would push back on the ebay seller. If not paypal can resolve it normally.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yessir, that was a cool trick, would have felt REAL bad though if it fried your board and made it right for sure!

Great work again, I was not only thoroughly impressed with your 'fix it' skills but the professional manner (sourcing components for me, shoot who does that?) and excellent communication throughout the entire process.

A scholar and a gentleman for sure!

Take care bud, GL orig poster on resolving issue at hand.