Ibm /Lenovo M5110 card on Windows 2012R2

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by Dotmax, May 19, 2017.

1. Dotmax

Dotmax New Member

Hi to all (First post for me here).
    I have some problem on making an IBM M5110 raid card working on a desktop board.

on the hardware side i have:
    IBM ServeRAID M5110
    - Bios Version 5.47.05.0 (FW: Package 23.29.0-0015)
    - Original firmware, not flashed
    - plugged into the graphic card pci-e slot

Asus Desktop Motherboard H170M-Plus
    -Bios Ver 2002

Boot from an ssd directly connected to the mb onboard sata controller.

what works:
    - the card boot fine
    - the webbios works fine (although very slow on page redraws/refresh ) i can see all the card, details and the 4 sata disk connected to the card, i can create vd successfully
    - the sytem boot fine (windows desktop)
    - the card is present under device manager

on the the very first boot i was able to install the lsi drivers (MR_WINDOWS_DRIVER_6.12-6.712.13.00) and the Storage Manager (16.11.00.03_MSM_Windows)
    at that time there was only the card. no sata cables and no sata drives, configuration cleared.

when i installed the drivers the card seems to work fine (i can successflully login into msm and view the card )

After that i put on the 4 sata drives and a pci-e nic (on a x1 slot) to avoid patching intel I1219 drivers package tyo work with win2012R2

On next reboot i got an error on the device manager (error code 10) unable to start device (please note: error message translated, because the os ui is not in english)

After that i tried everything to make i work again with no success.

Tests made:
    - tried various driver versions (microsoft original, from avago/lsi, from ibm site)
    - unplugged nic card (maybe hardware conflicts?)
    - unlugged disks and sata cable
    - cleared raid configuration
    - tried to cover pin 5 and 6 of pci-e bus with rubber tape (even if not properly applying here, the card boot fine)

As a last test i can try to reinstall os, but i doubt it works.

I suspect is someting related to the MB that is not server class, but i am not sure.

any help is appreciated.

best regards
    MAX

2. Dotmax

Dotmax New Member

I solved/bypass the problem by installing Windows 2016 Server.
    With the original os drivers (version 6.706.6.0 dtd 02/03/2015 ) the controller is recognized as "AVAGO MegaRaid SAS" and seems to work fine.
    Even if not heavily tested.

Bye
    MAX

3. Dotmax

Dotmax New Member

Update. The controller stops working also on w2016. I think it's a defective board. I'll trash it and buy a new one.
    Bye