i225/i226 Intel NICs in 2024 - Still Issues?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
What's the latest with the Intel i225/i226 Intel NICs?
Previously, there were 3 revisions of the i225 (B1, B2, and B3) and then intel released the i226.
I still see posts at various places with people still experiencing issues with all 4 versions of these nics and dropped connections to a certain degree.
I'm looking for a small firewall system and some variant of these i225/i226 NICs are in nearly everything you run across lately.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
There's an ongoing thread here.

I don't know what the issue is with Intel F'ing up the 2.5GE port though so badly it needs refreshes so often and still bugs out though. I've been running a QNAP card with quad 5GE for years w/o any issues. Maybe Aquantia based NBASE-T controllers just work better to the point where Marvell bought them out. There's a variety of AQC options though when it comes to NBASE-T.

Reactions: TXAG26

slidermike

May 7, 2023
Same as fta here. I have a six port appliance NICs (6 port i226). I run Proxmox and have a couple VMs (including pfSense) and several LXC without problems. I also have a nuc style pc with dual i226 running windows. Zero issues with any of the NICs.