i wanna buy a mini ITX amd board with 10G nic

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cdoublejj

Jan 5, 2018
and a BMC would be great. are consumer boards it? i saw supermicro has board out and as rock has one but, it's not in stock anywhere.

are consumer ryzen boards IT?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
BMC and consumer don't go hand in hand. You will probably need to wait for the X570D4I-2T to become available. Space is already at a huge premium in ITX motherboards and generally there isn't space for all the consumer IO in addition to a 10GbE NIC currently.

You could also alternatively get a Thunderbolt 10GbE NIC and use it with a number of consumer motherboards.

cdoublejj

Jan 5, 2018
BMC and consumer don't go hand in hand. You will probably need to wait for the X570D4I-2T to become available. Space is already at a huge premium in ITX motherboards and generally there isn't space for all the consumer IO in addition to a 10GbE NIC currently.

You could also alternatively get a Thunderbolt 10GbE NIC and use it with a number of consumer motherboards.
it doesn't have to be ryzen, epyc would be fine too. i might have to settle for $500 epyc board and use a pcie ribbon cable with an intel x550

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Socketed Epyc on ITX... SP3 socket is already about 1/4 the size of the ITX board spec. Not going to happen.

ASRock has a X570 ITX motherboard available soon, possibly in June.

cdoublejj

Jan 5, 2018
Socketed Epyc on ITX... SP3 socket is already about 1/4 the size of the ITX board spec. Not going to happen.

ASRock has a X570 ITX motherboard available soon, possibly in June.
Serve The Home has articles on several itx Epyc boards. i have not heard of any socket ITX epyc boards, idk how that would even be cooled nor would it work for me.

I doubt it will have 10GbE. I bet you it will only have 1GbE... Not even 2.5 or 5. Ugh.
as rocks website says it does. hopefully they don't go back on that

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I'm waiting for that board too, but I'm afraid it will end up too expensive.

cdoublejj

Jan 5, 2018
so far it's the only AMD based board with 10G and IPMI/BMC. Even the $500 EPYC boards are only 1G. IDEALLY you want as many features on board so as to not need or save the PCIe for something else. Like RAID with external SAS or a Graphics Card for transcoding. (God forbid Blue Iris support AMD GPUs)

EDIT: so if this board is IT then the question is will there be any lower TDP versions of the ryzen chips? i know there are "PRO" enterprise edition of some of the ryzen chips but, you're gonna want lower TDP to help keep it cooler if at all possible. this is where soldered epyc shines...or so i assume.

Last edited:

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
will there be any lower TDP versions of the ryzen chips?
There do exist some Ryzen 2000E with only 45W TDP and some GE with 35W and integrated graphics, for example https://www.amd.com/de/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700e
Don't know how available they are.
And no Zen2 so far as an E-Version.

BUUUUT there's one more thing:
TDPs of Ryzen are actually cTDP - they're configurable!
Ryzen 7 2700X cTDP Test: Ryzen 7 2700X cTDP Test - 15W vs. 35W vs. 65W vs. auto (Assassin’s Creed Odyssey) : Amd
German newssite with table of Zen2 with both standard and cTDP: Ryzen 3 3300X/3100: AMD bringt günstige Quadcores mit acht Threads - Golem.de

Reactions: cdoublejj

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
EDIT: so if this board is IT then the question is will there be any lower TDP versions of the ryzen chips? i know there are "PRO" enterprise edition of some of the ryzen chips but, you're gonna want lower TDP to help keep it cooler if at all possible. this is where soldered epyc shines...or so i assume.
I'm not familliar with modern stuff, but afaik you can set power target with X570 boards. That's usually discussed in SFF (small form factor) communities. People were talking about bringing 3900x chips from stock 105W to 65W, because of small CPU coolers. It seems doable, but I'm not sure about details (yet).

I don't have much interest in lower-end specs. You can get some Xeon E5-v3/v4 L processors: not as fast as Ryzen but widely available and pretty cheap: 8 core 2618L goes for under $100.

Reactions: cdoublejj

cdoublejj

Jan 5, 2018
GOOD LORD

that reminds of me of the OLD AMD MOAR CORES meme

That's a lot of cores for a little ITX gaming system or server. I'm sure even a first gen ryzen would be faster than my i7 3770T

PassMark - Intel Core i7-3770T @ 2.50GHz - Price performance comparison

but, if could do a 3600 (x) and adjust the power target, heck yeah! with onboard 10G i could ditch my NIC and the use the space above the cooler for more cooler!

WOW! I could even get a wicked fast nVME SSD DRIVE!!!

Reactions: nasi