I just need a firewall box, right?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zara654

May 15, 2021
Just want to make sure I'm spending my money on the right hardware for my home business. Going to have a crazy amount of computers attached to this eventually, and also want something good for a long time. This can serve as both a router and a firewall, right?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Honestly, if you're asking that question, you would be wasting your money on a €1300 appliance. If you provide some requirements, we can provide recommendations, which likely will cost a fraction of that.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
That listing is also really short on details - namely :
A) Which Eypc is it? (Rome, Milan or one of the embedded 3000 series)
B) Is the RAM upgradeable, and if so, how upgradeable is it? SODIMM? DIMM? Soldered in place?
C) Which NICs is it suppose to use? Is it an Intel i21x? An i350? Or is it an older Intel 5xx? Or is it the AMD 10GbE that is embedded onto the Eypc/Ryzen embedded models…which does not seem to be all that popular.
D) Any lights out management/ IPMI options?
E) Have you consider the downsides associated with having a single device both serving as a firewall and a router?

Technically you can slap Opnsense onto any TinyMiniMicro machine that has a PCIe slot and it’ll run just fine.

zara654

May 15, 2021
Honestly, if you're asking that question, you would be wasting your money on a €1300 appliance. If you provide some requirements, we can provide recommendations, which likely will cost a fraction of that.
I'm making sure since the naming conventions for routers and firewalls are confusing. It's since consumer routers have firewalls too, and the high end models offer fairly advanced firewall features. I think from a naming convention standpoint it should be something like router-firewall, since routers have firewalls as well these days. I want to make sure this is not intended to be plugged into a dedicated enterprise router as a stand alone firewall device. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right hardware.

I've maintained a dd-wrt install for years, and usually just buy the best available hardware to learn on so I don't have to make two purchases in the future. From reading the device description it sounds like it fits the needs for routing the switch I have coming.

I just know I need hardware like this for Web3 related stuff.

That listing is also really short on details - namely :
A) Which Eypc is it? (Rome, Milan or one of the embedded 3000 series)
B) Is the RAM upgradeable, and if so, how upgradeable is it? SODIMM? DIMM? Soldered in place?
C) Which NICs is it suppose to use? Is it an Intel i21x? An i350? Or is it an older Intel 5xx? Or is it the AMD 10GbE that is embedded onto the Eypc/Ryzen embedded models…which does not seem to be all that popular.
D) Any lights out management/ IPMI options?
E) Have you consider the downsides associated with having a single device both serving as a firewall and a router?

Technically you can slap Opnsense onto any TinyMiniMicro machine that has a PCIe slot and it’ll run just fine.
A) It's an EPYC 3201
B) You break the warranty by opening it. But, that's against the law in the US. It has dimm slots available. So, it might support faster and more than 16gb of ram. The board does support up to 64GB.
C) It has 2x integrated 10Gbps SFP+ and 4x Intel® i210 Gigabit Ethernet
D) No idea if it has those capabilities. I'll probably be turning off remote management if possible. Feels like a security risk.
E) What are the downsides of having a single device for router and firewall? If it makes more sense I can use a GT-AX11000 as the router, and this as the firewall for it. Though, I'd prefer to turn that device into an access point. I am way over-speccing my network for my current needs. I have a Mikrotik CRS354-48G-4S+2Q+RM coming soon, and plan on expanding to using it's capabilities. But, right now I only will have two to three desktops hooked up to it in the near future, and about 8 entertainment devices. Adding two more shortly. Will eventually get up to 100 computers that vary from a backup server (trying to not let the backup server be limited by network bandwidth for hourly backups. I can flip the switches by then if I am) to Raspberry Pis to various laptops. I will eventually add a second switch.

Last edited: