I initially planned to accept a job but I let my ego get hurt and now im not so sure.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I applied for a position at an institution that's basically the same as the one I currently hold at my job now and they offered me the job.

They low balled me and then when I said I'd need the weekend to consider they called me back and just matched what I was currently making instead of offering me more.

At the initial point in time when I applied I was confident that I would take the position anyway for the same amount of money just because it has some slight perks but I was really sure that I would get offered 50k, which is the top of the range for the position. I currently earn 48k and was offered 45k. Later when they realized how little of an offer they made they called back and "countered" at 48k, which is what I earn now. Literally, the HR person called me the other day and said that they called with the "counter" because "Well, we need you". What actually happened is my would-be boss found out how low of an offer they made and told them "what the hell, really?".

Anyway, I was a little surprised to have been offered less than what I currently make because my would-be supervisor was telling me she would need to contact my current boss to get some general information like my current salary so HR could offer something competitive.

And now, I think since I was expecting to get offered 50k so confidently (I mean hell it's only 2k more than what I currently make, surely HR departments base their salaries on what someone currently makes?) that it hurt my ego a bit and now im not as sure about taking the job, even though, it has some other incentives like that they do get 3-6% raises yearly which is something my current position does not offer.

For example they go to a 4 day work week for around 3 months out of the year, during the summer. And i'd have my own office finally. And my boss would actually be someone who values my opinions and inputs instead of brushing me off because I am young. And there's just lots of little office psychological annoyances that I would be free from.

And the last benefit I was considering isn't really a guarantee but there's the possibility of actually getting to work more closely with the IT department at the new employer, and helping them or even doing side projects with them, to get me actual experience for a "real" IT job. But that's just what they said when i interviewed, it could turn out to be quite the opposite.

I'm pretty much at an impasse. I have a week to decide and HR isn't budging from 48k.

The other issue with this is if I decline the position, I end back up in an awkward position with my current supervisor who was in contact with this other employer as aforementioned. The other week my boss told me about how if my job description changed drastically because I took on more responsibilities that she could go ask for more money for me. Well, usually my boss is just blowing smoke out her ass so I place too high of a value on that statement. I mean, it's a nice gesture, but, those aren't the things you plan on in life, you know? You don't make plans around empty promises people make. So I'm afraid that if I decline the job, that my boss will be cold towards me.

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

TechIsCool

Feb 8, 2012
Clinton, WA
techiscool.com
So have you tried more time off, better rate on 401k or other benefits that HR could budge on. Remember that total value is not always just about how much you're paid. It's also how you feel about the job.

Also what's to say you don't ride the new ship for a year while looking for new work. With the correct move you could earn more than 4k in the first few months. I hate looking but there is nothing stopping you from moving up again.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
these just my opinions:
you need to look on a ball park, such as benefits and ehm.. health&dental coverage, or bonuses or salary raising duration including 401K matching :D.
the other important: you would enjoy the new job when accepted.

if you accept the new job, better to say good bye nicely on your previous boss/manager or your coworker too.

good luck!!

b3nz0n8

Feb 18, 2013
...they called with the "counter" because "Well, we need you". ...my would-be boss found out ...and told them "what the hell, really?".
The HR department is simply attempting to reduce exposure, this should not be taken as an assault on your character or abilities. This situation could be interpreted as speed dating. They are trying to get the most out of you, for the least amount of investment in time and resources. If you do not ask for your value and perceived worth up front, you cannot, nor should you expect to receive it.

In the meantime, your current girlfriend (company) is getting a call from her competitor. She had better step up and realize talent, or pay the price of obtaining and training new talent. Not an inviting proposition when available jobs outnumber available talent...and that gap is widening.
Link: http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf

Advice: Mitigate risk by addressing additional responsibilities (and compensation) with your current employer, and leverage the situation (with both companies) with confidence and control. Be clear about your abilities and methods to improve the situation of your current/new company.

Ask for your value/perceived worth within industry standards, no more no less unless you have additional value to offer, and grow from the experience. Also, prepare yourself...in the event your current company just happens to exhibit bi-polar/unstable behavior (this scenario is not out of the question).

"And there's just lots of little office psychological annoyances that I would be free from."

You will never escape this scenario, unless you are this guy:

Know your value, command your worth.

Be clear, concise and confident in your actions...and always have a "Plan B" primed and ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanfawx and neo

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Know your value, command your worth.
Amen, Brother ... a rule to live by !

Some good advice offered so far. However, not to be offensive but perhaps offer a different view. My 2 cents worth (and rules that I live by as someone who has spent 35 years in the technology sector (not IT), and the father of 2 boys struggling in higher education) and in no particular order ...
  • I would never employ anyone at 100% of the offered pay grade. I've painted myself into a corner.
  • Until you have "road miles" behind you you are not in a position of strength. Accept that fact and move forward. Get experience and spin it, no matter how well you did.
  • HR departments work on statistics, and if they are worth their salt they know what a competitive salary for their industry is. More than often, that is not the case.
  • It would appear that you are still in the early stages of your career. Honestly, employers are taking a risk on you, no matter how good you think you are. (I've had to manage 2 MIT graduates that thought they were superstars ...)
  • I don't care where prospective employees graduated from. Could have been Stanford or the local Community College. If they don't have demonstrated capabilities, drive, ethics and desire they are worthless to me.
  • Why the f@&k are you worried about a $2k delta ... the salary is far less important than the spin. If you can't spin the new position it is worthless (unless it allows you to do f all and have no deliverables, in which case it's a winner)
  • I'd kill for a position that gave me 12x 3 day weekends during the summer. Summer is something that students enjoy. My past 8 weeks has been Taiwan/Korea/Arizona/1 weeks vacation/China/1 week PDX/2 weeks Japan) Yup, 1 week out of 8 in my own bed. I have a family but I'm not 100% sure they think they have a husband/father. (And I think there a people on this forum that travel more than I do)
  • I would NEVER allow a prospective employer to contact my current employer (unless I was wanting to send a very strong message).
Put the $$ aside ... If you think the new position can move you forward, take it and don't look back. If it doesn't then find something else. "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead"

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
In regards to your comment about allowing a prospective employer to contact my current employer, sometimes I think I was deceived. My would-be boss was telling me that on her end HR was requiring it as a final step. But the thing is, she called my actual boss, not HR of my current employer, who could've been more than capable of providing whatever verifying information they needed...So I almost think it was 2 fold, 1, to get insight on me in my position there and to throw it in her face, and 2, to get employment verification...lame mickey mouse stuff.

By the way, what exactly do you mean when you say "spin"?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
In regards to your comment about allowing a prospective employer to contact my current employer, sometimes I think I was deceived. My would-be boss was telling me that on her end HR was requiring it as a final step. But the thing is, she called my actual boss, not HR of my current employer, who could've been more than capable of providing whatever verifying information they needed...So I almost think it was 2 fold, 1, to get insight on me in my position there and to throw it in her face, and 2, to get employment verification...lame mickey mouse stuff.

By the way, what exactly do you mean when you say "spin"?
these just my opinion:
please do no give permission to contact your current boss/manager. I would say a suicidal on the run.
you can tell to reject mannerly, or ask you best buddy(or coworker) as referral ( I did in the past).

To remember, know your strength, and know the ball park that your career would be growth and $$$ with a new job. you would have some basic insight during interview and already talked with HR (the most untrusted people in the world when talking about jobs and opportunities :p).

speed up your achievement while being asingle since having family(kids) would be slow you down later ( as I am experiencing now)

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Wouldn't work for an outfit that contacted my current manager for details like that, shows immaturity, and lack of professionalism, especially during the interview negotiation process. Note, have found that telephone commitments to be without value, unless very quickly backed up in writing, when in relation to slalry / conditions.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
1) What others have said
2) During interviewing/negotiations I never let them contact my current employer until after I accept an offer (ie similar to home inspections when purchasing a house)...don't show your hand too early. I've had two companies side-step me on this and when they contacted me I told them to walk for violating my trust. If I can't trust the future potential employer, they just lost me.
3) There needs to be a significant delta/benefit to the new place...ie it's easy to stay where your at, make it worth it to move....less on-call, pay, vacation days, flexibility with kids, retirement offerings, fitness offerings, management styles, commute, co-worker drama, ect.
4) Own yourself, don't be afraid to counter any offer a potential employer gives. Depending on the situation, sometimes I provide justification for it..sometimes not.
5) Know your true worth to potential employers in your area.
6) Assume the grass is never greener, just different grass. You won't know for sure if it's better or worse until you've been there for awhile, unless it's a previous employer.

On the employer side of things, the goal is to hire people for as little as possible that they will come, stay, and do the required function. Personally, I'm honest with a future potential employer, they know I'm full-time somewhere else and they know one way or another it needs to be worth it for me to jump. Always do your homework on a future employers benefit benefit packages to get a pretty good idea of the deltas vs where your at currently.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Sigh. Well I'm pretty much at the point where they absolutely won't budge. I feel dumb about this whole situation now. Cause now my current employer knows. I should never have applied expecting to get the max, that was my number one mistake.

The benefits are practically the same when it comes to insurances and time off because both are community colleges. That's why the rest of the decision comes down to looking at things from a "grass is greener" perspective, e.g. my own office, can wear jeans, flexible schedule, etc.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
I think you should take the new job.
Your old company knows you're looking now and it could get nasty, and you could lose-out on both.
Agreed that is the safest option. Can't hurt to confidently ask for extra vacation days, performance bonus, or other incentives.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I think you should take the new job.

Your old company knows you're looking now and it could get nasty, and you could lose-out on both.
This, if nothing else, this. Dajinn, it sounds like you've painted yourself into a corner. Take the new job and make the most of the opportunity.

Reactions: pgh5278

altqpeeg

Aug 1, 2013
[Dajinn, post: ..And i'd have my own office finally. And my boss would actually be someone who values my opinions and inputs instead of brushing me off because I am young. And there's just lots of little office psychological annoyances that I would be free from.
[/QUOTE]

These points you made would be important factors to move up from your current job. I had a similiar situation of being in a position where my boss at the time was a retired air force colonel and the stress/aggravation relief of new job was a raise in the outcome. A year after taking the new job, I managed to turn outcome into a really great opportunity!

+1 to others comments about moving on to new job if current employer knows about the "new job offer".