I have too many Precisions and too little time

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Paid the guy for my parts so my M6400's rebuild can begin soon(TM)

Speaking of rebuilds, the M50 that's on it's way from the USA needs a right side hinge as its broken. No big deal, I have a complete upper lid from a C840 anyways.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Received my parts, rebuilt the M6400, and THERE'S A GODDAMN HAIR BEHIND THE E2E GLASS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Also had a issue that the keyboard wasn't working, ended up being a dislodged cable at the palmrest side.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I also fixed the M50's screen by swapping the entire hinge assembly. Next step: installing XP which takes for-****ing-ever even with my own image.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I also fixed the M50's screen by swapping the entire hinge assembly. Next step: installing XP which takes for-****ing-ever even with my own image.
Done, that same night too. Fully updated to April 2019 thanks to the OnePiece packs and nLite. (with which I also deleted a shitload of unneeded and obsolete components)

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Cool, I found someone parting out a M6600 which I bought all parts from. Base model but it's got a working FirePro M8900 GPU, so that'll do for now to tide me over until I can find a 5010M for a not-retarded price. (aka never, lol)

I wonder what's broken on it that caused him to part it out?

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Apparently the memory slots are completely dead for some reason. No big deal, I was after the GPU anyway and will be selling off the remaining parts such as the keyboard and upper lid to recoup the cost.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Bizarre issue with my M6600, it seems UEFI variables related to the memory or power limits don't apply correctly. Even with Turbo Power Limit MSR Lock set to 0x0 or Memory Frequency set to 1867/0x4 they don't apply for some reason.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Good news, I managed to knock the hair down to the bottom of the screen.

Bad news, there was a layer of paint (?!) on my supposedly NOS palmrest which I had to wipe off with IPA exposing that this seemingly wasn't a truly NOS palmrest, as there is a bit of wear on the right side hinge slot.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Had some spare cash after selling some stuff so I bought this for WAY too much money:

Yes, that's the very rare Precision M40 and in what appears to be mint condition! No idea how the seller got ahold of it, but hey I don't give a damn, I just bought a M40!

It also includes the restore CDs which is something I don't have enough of.

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
holy shit there's a M65 engineering sample on eBay, guess what's the BIN is: $10,000 lmao

I wonder if the seller would accept my offer of $200? Still expensive as hell for what's a basically a M65 with some stupid sticker on it, whatever idiot the owner was even updated the BIOS at one point :(

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Long story short: said M40 I bought in Germany ended up being completely ****ed in the mail and arrived with a chunk missing near the LAN port and right side speaker grille. Got €50 back as a goodwill gesture from the seller, glued the broken pieces back together as best as I could, and sold it as-is again. Haven't heard back from the buyer so I guess I lucked out this time around.

Man, i'm so goddamn pissed that happened though.. this M40 was immaculate inside, it's Quadro2 Go even seemed to overclock better than the one in my own M40. It also didn't include the recovery discs the seller mentioned either!

Wasmachineman_NL

Dell Precisions FTW!
Aug 7, 2019

Do you know what this is? Yes, a M6700 Covet! I found one listed on eBay and jumped on it the second after I got a Saved Searches alert. Not the greatest specs but that 3840QM can be turned into what's basically a 3940XM with a few EFI variables.

Gonna sell the 1TB HDD and 16GB RAM to recoup some of the cost when it arrives.