I got a bunch of servers for free and I dont know if they have any use any more.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Catalyze

Apr 5, 2020
I have a number of questions.

I got two t5140s for 100 dollars. Each of them has 8 146gb 10k sas drives in them. They are new. Never used at all, but I have had some major problems getting them working and they are also 8 years old arm servers so I dont know if they have any purpose at this point at all. If you had a pair of these what would you do with them. I just got them because they were cool mostly.

I also got three fiber channel jbods with between 146 and 300gb 7200 - 15k drives. I have a total of around 40 drives including the spares I got. He also gave me blade server with two dual core xeons on 771. Would people want to buy something like that or do they have any purpose at all. I was thinking of selling the drives. They might be the most valuable part.

Finally I am setting up my nas again after a total loss of data on my array. I have 14 3 tb drives coming in the mail 2 of which I want to keep as spares. I am planing to do a raid 0 of 4 raidz1 arrays of 3 drives each. Is that a wise setup for expansion down the road and reliability. My goal is to saturate 10gbit with reliable storage because this is going to be an nfs share that stores my vms from two virtualization servers.

If you got this far thanks for reading the whole thing and thanks for your input.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The old hardware you have isn't going to be worth anything really. There's no demand for equipment that ancient. You can verify on eBay to see what to expect.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can put a current Oracle Solaris 11.4 onto (should work, free for noncommercial demo and development) and play with a ZFS filer and backup system with native/genuine ZFS v.44. Not sure if the disk controller supports disks > 2TB.