I am not sure where this is leading

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Today... we filmed in a bathroom/ washroom. It is either going to be an informative part of the video or a blooper.

For those wondering, I am up in Alberta Canada doing some liquid-cooled server content. We found that 30L/ min is enough to cool ~20,000 Milan cores. In USD terms, it is roughly $2/ day.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Der8auer made a 'similar' video questioning if you could just have a constant water-cooled loop from the tap without a radiator etc. If I remember right, at the time it was not much more expensive in Germany to use just a tap loop with always fresh and constant cold water compared to purchasing hardware. The only issue, the hardness of the water (lime).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@gb00s That is something that the data center guys figured out many years ago. Usually, you have a treated water loop (we showed this briefly in the PhoenixNAP tour) for the facility. Then you have CDUs that manage loops that go into individual servers. You do not want to pipe water directly into servers because of the corrosion/ buildup, bacteria, and so forth.

On the video, my guess is in early April. Doing a second one today.

Reactions: gb00s

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Today... we filmed in a bathroom/ washroom. It is either going to be an informative part of the video or a blooper.

For those wondering, I am up in Alberta Canada doing some liquid-cooled server content. We found that 30L/ min is enough to cool ~20,000 Milan cores. In USD terms, it is roughly $2/ day.
Welcome to Canada where hydro power really is everywhere, so much so that we call the power/electricity bill the "hydro bill".

If it's Alberta, I'm guessing they're using ground source cooling (i.e. pumping the water into subterranean heat exchangers rather than atmospheric heat pumps). Also, don't forget to schedule you're next visit during the Stampede.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
Welcome to Canada where hydro power really is everywhere, so much so that we call the power/electricity bill the "hydro bill".

If it's Alberta, I'm guessing they're using ground source cooling (i.e. pumping the water into subterranean heat exchangers rather than atmospheric heat pumps). Also, don't forget to schedule you're next visit during the Stampede.

That is a Ontario/Quebec thing..

In Alberta Power.. is.. well the power bill.