Hyper-V Server Core

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Draugauth

Sep 4, 2012
I have been trying to get Hyper-V running but the problem I am running into is the tutorials are for Hyper-V as a role and NOT as a Server. The server is CLI meaning no GUI. I have found some things such as how to get powershell installed and install drivers etc. But everything I've come across for remote management doesn't work. Granted I am on a Workgroup and not a domain but even the walk throughs I've come across for workgroup setups don't seem to work.

I've built a new server now and I need to get my file server back up and running. It's been a down for a week. ESXi doesn't support my raid controller and I don't have the money to pay for a license so I need something that won't balk at being in a workgroup, allow device passthrough, and can run multiple VM's.

Server is as follows
Norco 4224 Case
Intel E3-1230V2 Xeon
Asus P8BWS
2 SSD's for the OS and primary VM's
4 2TB HDDs in R6
Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual Port
EVGA 560 2GB
32GB ECC Ram (1333MHZ)
Core OS's to run will be WHS2011, Win7 Home, and Ubuntu. Other things I'll be playing with are other virtualization OS's and different flavors of linux.

Thanks in advance

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
You can manage it just fine from a remote full installation with connecting to it from the server manager/mmc with remote credentials right? Did it for a while but hated it. The savings were in my opinion not worth it, maybe it's something reserved for a cluster.
Still can't understand why gui's can't be disabled when not in use instead of running pure headless. server 2012 is a nice compromise though.

Draugauth

Sep 4, 2012
Mike: No it gives the RPC error. Seems like MS really didn't look at Hyper-V being used in a "whitebox" setup.

Tomorrow I will get the old server setup and running as a domain controller I guess. It will run Linux just fine being a Core 2 Duo Extreme with 8GB of ram.