Hyper-V rookie

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WhyBe

Aug 31, 2023
Hi everyone,

I just assembled my very first home server (see specifications below), for the purpose of my studies in IT and for personnal matters such as game servers, FTP / media server, ... (but that's not my priority atm).

I would like to share this hypervisor with my coworkers on our study project at school. So they don't mess with my own VMs, is there a way to attribute VMs to registred account ? Do I need an AD (I will have one into our school project wich I could use if needed I think ?) ?

Also, I would like to secure our remote connections to this server : adding a VPN VM server may be a good idea to do so ?

Finally, I'm here to take your best advices so I don't make things messy, doing the most I can in the right way and in an appropriate order :p

So far, I only got the default admin account in local users, HYPER-V installed on Windows Server 2022 and on the full space of one of the NVMe, and a RAID 5 array with my four HDD (totally empty, not mounted at all).

I don't have switch and my router is the one from my ISP.

If I missed something that may be relevant, feel free to ask.

Specifications :

CPU : AMD Epyc 7282
Motherboard : Supermicro H12SSL-i
RAM : 2x Hynix RAM 32GB DDR4-3200 2Rx4 ECC REG DIMM
SSD : 2x Lexar NM790 2 TB on the two nvme slots on board
HDD : 4x WD Red Pro 8 TB plugged on the RAID Controller
RAID Controller : MegaRAID SAS 9341-4i
Case : Supermicro 733TQ-668B

Thanks in advance to the STH community for all the help you can provide :)

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I don't know about segmenting VMs by users/groups, but you could potentially look into Nested Hyper-V, i.e. running Hyper-V server as a VM.

kyo77

Jul 26, 2016
Are you just looking to grant users access to a VM or you want to grant them access to Hyper-V and allow them to create VMs?
I don't believe there is a simple way to grant access to Hyper-V as an administrator but also limiting them access to your VMs, if you wanted them the ability to create VMs. For this kind of functionality, you will need at least System Center Virtual Machine Manager for that.

What zac1 suggested would probably be the easiest, which is to create a VM on your server and enable nested virtualization which will allow you to run Hyper-V on that VM. Then grant your users access to that VM.

Also it's highly recommended not to open RDP ports to the public, so a VPN would be recommended.

WhyBe

Aug 31, 2023
Thanks to both of you for your replies :)

I am planning to do differently : I have installed free VMWare ESXI and then nested a Hyper-V on a VM. I'm now trying to grant my mates a remote access to ESXI, or to my network through a VPN Wireguard (but seems hard, since we are on ISP networks which are identical, subnets host and clients being 192.168.x.x/24 ...).

But I think I will just grant them an access to the nested Hyper-V through VNC viewer, even if they would like to have an access to the ESXI interface for their personnal knowledge.