Hyper-V over SMB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zava

Feb 16, 2024
Any body have experience on deploying production environment Hyper-V over SMB, ( 2 Physical servers with 9 Hyper-V) . Is it a recommended model?

vanfront

Jun 5, 2020
I have a hyperconverged cluster running fine for 3+ years without a reboot. Now added a separate Hyper-V host with Azure Backup Server doing backups of the cluster over SMB.

What's important is networking speed, and ideally redundant. Go with 25 Gbit+ NICs with RDMA support. Enable priority control, QoS, jumbo frames. I have a bunch of PowerShell scripts to do the setup if you are interested.

You will need several features installed: Datacenter bridging, Multipath IO, File server.

I'd recommend using NTFS over ReFS and avoid deduplication. Recovering data from a failed ReFS volume with deduplication has been a nightmare of mine for the past couple days.

Reactions: Zava

Zava

Feb 16, 2024
I have a hyperconverged cluster running fine for 3+ years without a reboot. Now added a separate Hyper-V host with Azure Backup Server doing backups of the cluster over SMB.

What's important is networking speed, and ideally redundant. Go with 25 Gbit+ NICs with RDMA support. Enable priority control, QoS, jumbo frames. I have a bunch of PowerShell scripts to do the setup if you are interested.

You will need several features installed: Datacenter bridging, Multipath IO, File server.

I'd recommend using NTFS over ReFS and avoid deduplication. Recovering data from a failed ReFS volume with deduplication has been a nightmare of mine for the past couple days.
[/QUOTE

Dear Vanfront
Thanks for your support. Kindly share your scripts if possible.
Thanks in advance.