Hyper-V MAC Address Change on VM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LightMyWorld

May 21, 2015
Ok here is what the deal is. I have an ISP that gives me Public IP addresses to each device connected to the modem via a switch. So I have 5 computers plugged into this switch and all of them have public IP's. I have a batch file that releases the IP address, changes the MAC address via TMAC application and then renews the IP and gets another new Public IP address. This is useful for people who do web marketing on Ad words, craigslist, etc. which is what my company does. So I thought to myself why do I need 5 individual PC's running Windows 7 when I can setup a server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V and have 5 Win7 VM's. Well I setup Hyper-V and then made my first Win7 VM and when I run TMAC to randomize the MAC address it states that it can't do it. So after reading online it seems as though Hyper-V Virtual network card uses some type of internal MAC addresses to assign to it's VM's. I want to see if there's a way around that by either a different virtual NIC or being able to pass through Win7's networking directly to the DHCP server.
My other idea I thought of but don't think it will work is by getting a USB Network adapter and assign it directly to Win7.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I may be wrong, but wouldn't you simply want to change the MAC address in Hyper-V's switch manager?

weust

Aug 15, 2014
You can't upgrade 2008 (R2) to 2012 (R2).
Need to do a full re-install.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Here are the options for MAC address in Server 2008 R2 on the individual VM:

You can't change the MAC while the VM is running but, notice the "Enable spoofing of MAC addresses" checkbox? I wonder if that will let you do what you want from within the VM.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Still the same in 2012 (R2).
Except you can use SR-IOV too.

I set up my VMSwitch NICs with SR-IOV, but think I forgot to enable it for the VM...
Mental note: check that.

LightMyWorld

May 21, 2015
Here are the options for MAC address in Server 2008 R2 on the individual VM:

You can't change the MAC while the VM is running but, notice the "Enable spoofing of MAC addresses" checkbox? I wonder if that will let you do what you want from within the VM.
I don't get it. My system doesn't have this option. Wonder if there is a way to enable it.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
It's not on the first "page" but you need to expand the adapter, then there is a advanced page.
Already closed my consoles for the weekend, sorry for the lack of proper info here.

LightMyWorld

May 21, 2015
Well what I mean is I see everything in that picture except the Enable MAC Address Spoofing section.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
But did you also expand the adapter settings?
The picture you're referring too is the main settings page. It's not there in any version of Hyper-V.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I can't help but think that the only reason to do something like this is because you are trying to cheat some type of system. "web marketing" - sounds like creating lots of fake accounts/user-reviews/likes/etc or getting around some type of anti-spam system. I can't think of any valid reason that a user would ever need to continuously change their MAC/IP address. If rebooting to change the MAC is too much of a hassle then you are obviously doing it far too often.

Convince me that there is a legitimate to need to do this, and I'll give you instructions on how to make it work.

LightMyWorld

May 21, 2015
But did you also expand the adapter settings?
The picture you're referring too is the main settings page. It's not there in any version of Hyper-V.
I logged into another W2008R2 system and it was on those VHD's. So maybe I just missed it the first time. I actually have another problem now because I wiped S2008R2 and loaded Hyper-V Server 2012. But for some reason I can't create any VHD's. It keeps saying "The System Failed To Create The Virtual Hard Disk"

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Sounds like spamming craigslist to me. To quote from their FAQ at craigslist | about > help > faq

Can I post my ad on more than one craigslist site?
Please choose just ONE local craigslist site for which your ad is most relevant—generally the site closest to you. If your ad is equally relevant to all locations, your ad does not belong on craigslist. Please find another service. Posting the same ad to multiple locations on craigslist is prohibited.
and

Can I post ads on craigslist on behalf of others as a paid posting agent or posting service?
Unauthorized posting agents/services are prohibited. Violators agree to pay CL liquidated damages for each posting.
So yes - I think what you are trying to do is wrong.

Edit: I guess I should have also quoted the post from LightMyWorld that this was in reply to, since he's gone back and deleted it after the fact.

Last edited: