Hybrid 10GbE/Infiniband card?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
I am seeing really conflicting information on this Mellanox MHGH29-XTC for $100. He states Ethernet only, yet then in the description it says both IB and 10GbE. My switch uses 10GbE CX4 uplinks. The spec sheet seems to state that it does both as well an the firmware release says "supported protocols: InfiniBand, Ethernet, FCoE, VPI". Now the manual then says "H Adapter Type H = InfiniBand Host Channel Adapter, N = Ethernet Network Interface Card" on page 10. So then how is it both? The G in the model number is supposed to be for CX4. Now from what i have read/heard, CX4 is an ethernet standard and not a physical connector like they are acting it is. The actual connector is just a xaui connector.

What are you guys thoughts? Seems to be a lot of conflicting info. Im lost. If it will really do 10GbE, than its a great deal IMHO.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
The Mellanox VPI cards can generally do both IB or 10Gb. I have run that card in both modes and it works fine. The cards that are -EN are the 10Gb only cards. These are a popular line of cards and the MHGH28 and MHGH29 are basically the same card. CX4 cables are cheap too.

Lastly, I have an order of low profile brackets coming in if you need any. :)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
can they do both? say port 1 IB port 2 EN and act as a bridge with a subnet manager running on the card?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yes you can set up the card to be per port. You can set that up in the driver - I think that's in /etc/rdma/mlx4.conf for my CentOS system. I had the cards running in both modes at the same time.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
The Mellanox VPI cards can generally do both IB or 10Gb. I have run that card in both modes and it works fine. The cards that are -EN are the 10Gb only cards. These are a popular line of cards and the MHGH28 and MHGH29 are basically the same card. CX4 cables are cheap too.

Lastly, I have an order of low profile brackets coming in if you need any. :)
How much are you looking for the brackets? I am interested. I only ordered one card to test with, but I might just order a few brackets from you just in case.