EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Well I dont want to.
When I want to keep the 4GB Ram can I mix them with bigger size?
Generally for most of system, mixing RAM of different size may work as long as they are of same type and speed. I don't own this system, not 100% sure. But I would suggest you to check the system manual of the manufacture.
For the best result, most of system manufacturer would recommend you to use RAM of same type, speed and size. By type means you CANNOT mix RDIMM with LRDIMM. Beware DDR4 ECC RAM of 32GB and larger size are either RDIMM or LRDIMM. And within each type, they are of different ranks

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Your name or

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Thanks I dont want buy such a big Ram since the are way over my Budget.
Understood. Spend within your budget :)
Note that for RAM using on E5 V3 or V4 systems when they were released, the most cost effective configuration was to use 16GB and later 32GB size RAM ( with speed upto DDR4-2400) . Some people also used 64GB. So when these old servers are being decommissioned , the lower speed used 16GB and 32GB are available in abundant, and hence is more cheaper to get in term of $ per GB. The 4GB or 8GB ECC REG may still able to get but they are actually more costly in term of price/GB.

For the newer generation server using DDR4 RAM with DDR4-3200 speed, 64GB per stick has the best price point now.

Reactions: tic226

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
So all the fun chatting beside the Server drive me insane. I try to access the Web Management.
On my Laptop I config the Lan Port and try to access http://192.168.2.100/ nothing!
When I search on my PC if the get an IP from my Network Nothing to?!
So is there an way to reset them?

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
So all the fun chatting beside the Server drive me insane. I try to access the Web Management.
On my Laptop I config the Lan Port and try to access http://192.168.2.100/ nothing!
When I search on my PC if the get an IP from my Network Nothing to?!
So is there an way to reset them?
I dont have this system, but most nodes have an option in the bios(uefi) for resetting the IPMI

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Today I connect a Display to the Server and I found out some idiot config the Remote Card to an fix IP: 172.30.16.46

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
Today I connect a Display to the Server and I found out some idiot config the Remote Card to an fix IP: 172.30.16.46
So you had not setup the ipmi before trying to connect to it? (Not everyone is using dhcp reservation for management. )That would explain why you was not able to connect to it. Most secondhand servers ship with the bios and ipmi that the previos owner had setup.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Can someone tell me about the "loudness" and "power consumption" in idle?

Thinking about 2288 with E5-2658A.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
How do you define idle?
In my case I dont have any HDD, SSD plugin currently. The most annoying noise come from the Mini Fan who is in the Power Supply.
The big Case Fans are very good and quit for a Server.
I personally would not use them in an Home or Office.

Reactions: Xeroxxx

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
How do you define idle?
In my case I dont have any HDD, SSD plugin currently. The most annoying noise come from the Mini Fan who is in the Power Supply.
The big Case Fans are very good and quit for a Server.
I personally would not use them in an Home or Office.
Thank you. I define Idle as <=10% Load.

I'm thinking about one as ESXi or XenServer HomeLab, not permanently running.

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE

Thinking about 2288 with E5-2658A.
I've got one with dual E5-2640v3, 8x16GB DDR4, SR130 LOM (2x10GbE SFP+) and 2xSAS3 SSDs and idle power consumption is ~170W@230VAC with both PSUs in load balancing mode.
Regarding 'loudness'; I had some hardware issues which took me a few days to resolve while the server was sitting on the floor next to my desk and i was wearing ear plugs because the BMC was running the fans at ~35% speed and the whining of the eight 80mm fans was driving me nuts. Fan speed setting was already on 'Low noise' profile. Afterwards i had some time to look into it further and the BMC manual describes how the fan speed can be set manually [0]. Just set the fan speed controller to manual mode with 0 timeout
Code:
ipmcset -d fanmode -v 1 0
and the fan speed percentage afterwards
Code:
ipmcset -d fanlevel -v 22
20% is the lowest but i stick to 22% because at 20% i got some nasty intermittent coil whine. Now the noise level is very tolerable and stays that way unless the BMC is restarted. Note that (as some other posters already stated) the PSU fans emit an unpleasant, higher pitched noise that can't be controlled and persists even when the server is switched off. I got used to it but some may find it annoying.

[0] 'FusionServer Pro Rack Server iBMC (V300 to V549) User Guide 18.pdf' page 405-406