HPE P2000 G3 worth running at home?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I might have a chance to get a P2000 soon.
I would not mind expanding my storage/NAS setup at home.
I am always very mindful of power draw and noise.

So the current setup is a Dell R710 loaded with 6x8TB drives and its dead silent and uses about 140w of power.

I do not mind standing up another server storage node to keep similar figures of power/noise but next time get a server that holds more drives.

I would think something like the P2000 being mostly just storage and controller would use less power and not run fast fans as there is no CPU or RAM to cool, but I cant find any information on it anywhere, so figured at least a few of you here have these at home or have played with them enough to answer.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I've never used the P2000 myself but I would edge towards a no (based on conjecture however so apply NaCl accordingly).

Besides the fun of dealing with HPE for firmware updates (assuming this isn't EOL already), the fans will almost certainly be loud - I've not seen a piece of HP rackmount kit that isn't - and the controllers are likely to throw a hissy fit if you don't use HP-branded drives. On top of that you'll also need to power both this and your original chassis, as well as a 10GbE fabric for iSCSI or an HBA for SAS.

If you're looking for a quiet and efficient setup, you're likely better off building a new rig in a larger case or, as you say, buying a server that holds more drives. That way you can constrain yourself to a single chassis, single motherboard and a single set of big fans; simpler, much more efficient and much easier to maintain.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Thanks for the input.
You might be right in a lot of that.

The one thing I did see from reading on white paper is that the P2000 has 4 different controllers. Fiber Channel, iSCSI, SCSI, and a hybrid.
I agree with FC or SCSI I would look at extra cost to implement so iSCSI would be the only acceptable solution.

I still have enough space for now on my current solution, so probably will just take a pass on this and see what kind of technology becomes affordable next time I require an expansion.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for the input.
You might be right in a lot of that.

The one thing I did see from reading on white paper is that the P2000 has 4 different controllers. Fiber Channel, iSCSI, SCSI, and a hybrid.
I agree with FC or SCSI I would look at extra cost to implement so iSCSI would be the only acceptable solution.

I still have enough space for now on my current solution, so probably will just take a pass on this and see what kind of technology becomes affordable next time I require an expansion.
I’ve managed a number of P2000 units and they’re all loud. I’d guess 55dBa or so.

Edit: I just looked up the quick specs and it says less than 57dBa. So that lines up with my experiences.

Double edit: 57bBa is for the G2. The G3’s are 55dBa.
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04168365.pdf