HPE DL60 G9 SPP install issue on machine that was never updated since 2014

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick Wingert

Dec 6, 2017
I am trying to install the SPP2003 which I obtained off HP's website. I boot into ILO and arrange to install the SPP by booting from a USB and select autoinstall. it goes away for about 15 seconds then kicks out to the ILO command line. Any suggestions for where to go next.

This machine was lost in a janitor's closet for six years after it was ship to an office and put away by a project manager who then left the company the same week and never told anyone about receiving the server. The project was delayed for a couple of months by funding issues. The office was moved to leave the server behind. It was eventually found this year by another unit that was moved in there. The project died on the vine and was never implemented. The server was declared redundant and I adopted it (bought it from corporate at scrap prices). It Dperpecated by HPE and I am not interested in getting and extended out of service warranty for a BIOS update for what is now a hoe server.

Patrick Wingert

Dec 6, 2017
Why do you need it? If the machine boots and works, use it.
I need to update it because the Red Hat Enterprise Developers edition I want to install won't work on the current firmware edition. I also can not run Xen or Windows server 2016 or 2019 or Ubuntu 20.0x because of bugs in the firmware that are corrected in later versions. The only OS I can install is Windows Server 2012

Patrick Wingert

Dec 6, 2017
If the HP software is bugging out, either it's bad or the server has issues. Might pay to strip it to basics like single stick of tested RAM, no add-in cards, and go from there.
I am using it in that configuration. It has the original 8Gb stick of ram it shipped with and no extra card and 1TB HDD. Its passing self-test to get into the iLO fine. No errors in the error log either. I am wondering if I have to go back to the first SPP after the BIOS date and do the update one at a time to upgrade it? My only issue is I would need a complete library of all the SPP's from 2014 02 till now.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Sorry I forgot to come back and edit in the bit I missed.

Put in a single drive, load windows or windows server to it then download and run the EXE files from HP. I have had pretty good success in the past with the software updates from running enviroment.