HPe D3700 Enclosure question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Hi everyone. I got a branch office with a few Proliant Gen8 servers and two of them need some extra storage. Unfortunately, they are both maxxed out with 25 physical disks. Local tech contacted HPe for a solution and the salesguy says an HPe D3700 can be hooked up to both servers (with a Smart Array controller with an external port) and has the ability to present a set of disks to each server (split the backplane somehow?). This doesn't sound right to me.

I have a feeling that whatever disks are in this D3700 will be visible to both servers and the Allstate Mayhem guy will be knocking at the door. I don't see anything in to docs able splitting or dynamically assigning drive bays to any of the SAS ports. Anyone have any hands on experience with this enclosure?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
There is zoning that’s controlled by the correct model smart array controller more than likely if it’s like some of the other models in the range. Firmware on the Controllers had some bugs years ago that gave some grief but once that was sorted out I think they are ok but I would not really want to do it if you can afford separate disk arrays for each system.